Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse Butt Markers

Grouse Butt Markers

Was looking to buy a "grouse butt marker" for the forthcoming loading season but at 70+ too expensive. Why are they so dear after all its only a fancy piece of plastic with a wax crayon?

Anyone know where I can buy a "cheap" one? Second hand would do.

​Willie

Playing cards work fine.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I need one too but I'm not paying 140. I tried making one out of white board and roe antler to peg it but didn't look good enough.

Which moor are you on,am getting twitchy now it won't be long
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

Hi Nemo,

i load on Whitfield, Wolsingham and beat on Catterick.

Keeps me busy,

​Willie

Why not make your own out of the bottom of an ice-cream tub, take-away container, or, for a bit more weight, a cheap plastic chopping board? Alternatively, visit a diving shop and ask for a dive "slate". Then finish the thing off by marking out ranged arcs with a permanent OHP marker, and tying on a chinagraph pencil with a nice bit of string.

It may sound very Viz-top-tips, but will your gun, keeper or pickers up really care if you're not using a "posh" marker so long as you can tally up, and locate or indicate the position of any birds shot?

+1 a diver slate is good choice you could prob get three out of a large cutting board 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Why not make your own out of the bottom of an ice-cream tub, take-away container, or, for a bit more weight, a cheap plastic chopping board? Alternatively, visit a diving shop and ask for a dive "slate". Then finish the thing off by marking out ranged arcs with a permanent OHP marker, and tying on a chinagraph pencil with a nice bit of string.

It may sound very Viz-top-tips, but will your gun, keeper or pickers up really care if you're not using a "posh" marker so long as you can tally up, and locate or indicate the position of any birds shot?

I use an acrylic disc 4 inch off the Bay of E, in brown (so as not to scare birds with it resting on the butt) and then used a black permanent marker to mark the radials out to 60yds and a yellow chinagraph (secured by string through a hole in the acrylic disc) to plot birds as they fell; often falling at 60yds having been shot at 25-40.
    Works fine for me and guests.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

On the estate I pick up on they use, old roof slates. And as long as someone paints the number neatly they look damned fine. Better I'd say than the made up plastic ones.
    They just have them laid up next to the "door" into the butt. Easily seen and they look smart. And are cheap if you've old slates lying about.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    On the estate I pick up on they use, old roof slates. And as long as someone paints the number neatly they look damned fine. Better I'd say than the made up plastic ones.
    They just have them laid up next to the "door" into the butt. Easily seen and they look smart. And are cheap if you've old slates lying about.
    Not that type of marker