Reamer fairy...

MarinePMI

I guess I have a weakness for tools/tooling....

Three more reamers to add to the collection:

6x45mm

20 Tactical

358 Win.

Yes, its a sickness...and encouraged by one here who shall not be named...and wants a .358Win chambered rifle... :D

They should be here day after tomorrow, and at $92 a pop, too good a deal to pass up...

I guess I have a weakness for tools/tooling....

Three more reamers to add to the collection:

6x45mm

20 Tactical

358 Win.

Yes, its a sickness...and encouraged by one here who shall not be named...and wants a .358Win chambered rifle... :D

They should be here day after tomorrow, and at $92 a pop, too good a deal to pass up...

Jeepers, 92 bucks, if only! Besides, I like having a new rear torn when buying stuff here...not!

358 win sounds interesting!

This will be the man from MT will it ? So to get around his self imposed embargo on paying more than $100 or whatever it is on a new gun, he is going to get you to re-chamber one of his existing battery, don't do it :D

John

This will be the man from MT will it ? So to get around his self imposed embargo on paying more than $100 or whatever it is on a new gun, he is going to get you to re-chamber one of his existing battery, don't do it :D John

LOL! Yes, I suppose that would be his logic... :p

Honestly, I think he just wanted something he could feed cheap .357 pistol bullets, and use once fire military .308 brass as parent cases. It should be an interesting build...

LOL! Yes, I suppose that would be his logic... :p

Honestly, I think he just wanted something he could feed cheap .357 pistol bullets, and use once fire military .308 brass as parent cases. It should be an interesting build...

Sneaky bugger is saving for another purchase, I just know it!

See if he'll let you have one of his FN Commercials as payment... fair barter afterall...

Sneaky bugger is saving for another purchase, I just know it! See if he'll let you have one of his FN Commercials as payment... fair barter afterall...
Actually, I think I already have one of his FN's...it's a fast twist 22-250...begging to be rebarreled into 9.3x62 (already have the reamer for that, just haven't gotten the barrel blank). :) I think it was gifted to me, quite a few years back. Nice action. :D As for him saving for another purchase; I seem to recall him pining away over a T-3 in 7mm-08 last week... ​:stir:

Last edited:
Actually, I think I already have one of his FN's...it's a fast twist 22-250...begging to be rebarreled into 9.3x62 (already have the reamer for that, just haven't gotten the barrel blank). :) I think it was gifted to me, quite a few years back. Nice action. :D

DO IT! Do IT NOW! You won't regret it. My FN Commerical is a 9.3x62 and is a hoot. And great round as well! (And you'll make the Montanan jealous, 9.3x57 just isn't the same animal)
As for him saving for another purchase; I seem to recall him pining away over a T-3 in 7mm-08 last week... ​:stir:

Tell him to get a man's 7mm, ie 7x64 (Everything a .270Win should be!)

Scrummy

Last edited:
A 358 Win is on top of my wish list. I'm just on a self-imposed embargo also... My plan was to get Howa barreled action in something like 308, scrap the barrel and go from there. When you move up from 30cal the 358 is first, if not only, choice where you can find economic (jacketed) bullets.

Short action, enough velocity for 200 - 300+ grain hunting bullets, efficient cartridge, low muzzle report, reasonable recoil, cheapish bullets for practice while duplicating hunting load's ballistics, potential for subsonic loads including bullets that are designed to expand at those velocities. What's not to like?

I do own a commercial Mauser in 9.3x62 but I tend to load it down somewhat, it's PITA regarding optics (traditional claw mount) and cheaper/lighter bullets are hard to find for training (S&B 193gr 9.3x72R and Hornady XTP Makarov being the only choices I'm aware of).

A 358 Win is on top of my wish list. I'm just on a self-imposed embargo also... My plan was to get Howa barreled action in something like 308, scrap the barrel and go from there. When you move up from 30cal the 358 is first, if not only, choice where you can find economic (jacketed) bullets. Short action, enough velocity for 200 - 300+ grain hunting bullets, efficient cartridge, low muzzle report, reasonable recoil, cheapish bullets for practice while duplicating hunting load's ballistics, potential for subsonic loads including bullets that are designed to expand at those velocities. What's not to like? I do own a commercial Mauser in 9.3x62 but I tend to load it down somewhat, it's PITA regarding optics (traditional claw mount) and cheaper/lighter bullets are hard to find for training (S&B 193gr 9.3x72R and Hornady XTP Makarov being the only choices I'm aware of).

You know, Lee will make a swaging die for taking .375 bullets and getting them down to .366 for the 9.3mm. Also, some folks have annealed 9mm cases, filled them with lead and swaged them down in the same die for cheap plinking bullets. Some have even used the 9mm cased bullets for deer with great success.

​Just a thought...

Thanks for the suggestions.

In fact I have some PPU left but it's 286gr so practice loads would have more recoil than my mild hunting loads with 250gr Nosler Accubond... Also PRVI is not available anymore for affordable price.

MarinePMI, last time I bought 193gr Sellier&Bellot I got them about 20 (euro)cents each. Hornady XTP was about the same. I'm not aware any 375 (jacketed) bullets at that price. IIRC swaging 375 down to 366 was due to 9.3mm bullets not so much available in US some years ago.

I was thinking that with 358 I could use some 158 grain SP or HP bullets for practice. Of course they're made for 357 revolvers but should handle the moderately added velocity quite well because the end of the bullet is not exposed. My goal would be matching the flight time at 75 meters with the hunting load (and thus the lead on running target range). Reduced recoil would be a plus, of course 158gr bullet exiting at 2100-2700fps (depending on hunting load to be matched) would be nothing to sneeze at...

I was thinking that with 358 I could use some 158 grain SP or HP bullets for practice. Of course they're made for 357 revolvers but should handle the moderately added velocity quite well because the end of the bullet is not exposed. My goal would be matching the flight time at 75 meters with the hunting load (and thus the lead on running target range). Reduced recoil would be a plus, of course 158gr bullet exiting at 2100-2700fps (depending on hunting load to be matched) would be nothing to sneeze at...

I believe that is exactly what Muir is thinking; cheap bullets that can also be used for hunting if a high end bullet is not really required (for thin skinned game such as whitetail deer and antelope).

Good God, Marine! Look at what you've started. A slew of closet 358 fans. Thanks for picking up the reamer. Happy to pay you for it, of course.

As to my Resolution: The action is a Small Ring Mexican Mauser M-98 I've had for 20 odd years. The barrel is a Douglas XX Premium 1-12 twist blank I've had for almost 30 years.... So if the reamer doesn't count as a firearm, then I am free from guilt.

As to the chambering: Exactly! You can shoot cheap pistol bullets through it or jack up 200 grain bullets to 2500 fps. I will be shooting a lot of cast bullets through this rifle -possibly to the extent of exclusivity. I have about 40 molds in 38 caliber and about 3 kg of once fired Lake City 308 brass with which to form cases. I already have a classic stock in English walnut inletted for the Small Ring action and I'll weld on a new bolt handle... Life is good!~Muir

Back