Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: here's one for you rifle boffs

here's one for you rifle boffs

am i day dreaming or is it possible to make a 45-70 gov bolt action rifle ?

if so what kind of action would be required? from what i understand it would have to be almost indestructable

i have got a little project in mind , i just cant figure if it can be done !

your thoughts

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

In a word yes it can be done...seen one on a SMLE so I would think mauser type action would do the jobby! Interesting project!

Just thought, I'm not a rifle boff!
    Last edited by Jager SA; 30-07-2013 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    ...seen one on a SMLE so I would think mauser type action would do the jobby! Interesting project!

Just thought, I'm not a rifle boff!
    Isn't the SMLE a Lee rear locking action not a Mauser front locking action?
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

+1 or a GEW 98 Attachment 30877 Like this old feller made at spandal 1914 never could think of a job for it

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Isn't the SMLE a Lee rear locking action not a Mauser front locking action?
    See, I'm not a Boff.

​i said Mauser type as they are probably in abundance. I read an article somewhere about Mauser copies being used.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    +1 or a GEW 98 Attachment 30877 Like this old feller made at spandal 1914 never could think of a job for it
    Ooh...I like that! Seen one very similar the weekend that's going to be a 7x57.

yer tiz a big boy ,i'v no use for it was gonner build off it years ago never happened just a paper weight now at a nr a 100yrs old its as slick as a new one

+ooh, add also ...Shiny....
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

How about starting with an old P14 (Yes a Mauser Action) there used to be plenty of these knocking around quite cheap, that is until heritage stuff started to take off and prices rose.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Interesting project, though you may have problems reworking the bolt face on a 98 or other Mauser type action the cartridge head on a rimless 8x57mm Mauser is .470" or 11.94mm dia where as the rimmed .45-70 is .608" or 15.44mm in dia. The Rigby .416 is .590" or 14.99mm so I would imagine you would most certainly need a Magnum Mauser action to proceed with your project and I would guess the BRNO Magnum would be the most economical.
    Good luck with it.
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket