Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Relationship

Rocky Relationship

When I got my 17HMR things were exciting as they always are at the start. We had a promising future ahead of us together, she would allow me access to the bunnies that where out of reach to me with my air rifle during the day.

Our first outting together was to the range day at Catton Park. I wanted to get her fully setup and broken in. After a bit of zeroing we went onto the 100m range to shoot at onions. Making them explode was fun for both of us, she was deadly accurate.

Then it all went wrong, we changed ammo and she really didn't like what I was putting in her. She went from deadly accurate to a wild spitting monster. Our relationship broke down, I went home annoyed and lost all confidence in her. She sat locked in the safe for a month or so while I decided what to do with her, spending my time concentrating on my bigger .308

Last week I took her out again to the range to rezero and sort her out. Again she was spitting them everywhere, on the advise of someone more experienced than me we change ammo, chucking out the cheap Hornady and going back to the Remington ammo. 5 rounds later she was bang on again, another 20 rounds to make sure she was deadly accurate again, grouping nicely just about 1" high at 100m.

Feeling happy again and having my permission cleared recently I took her out last night and we've definitely kissed and made up. She took her first rabbit at 120yds with a nice clean head shot. We're now best friends again and looking forward to the weather brightening up so we can get out again and show those bunnies that they are no longer safe sitting out of range of my air rifle because she can reach them out to 150-200yds no problem.

I've learnt that I need to treat her to the more expensive Remington ammo and not be a cheapskate. If she continues to be a good girl I'll buy her some new glass, as the current scope is ***** and doesn't do her justice.

i fell out with mine after 3 months and replaced it with a 223 very happy now

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    When I got my 17HMR things were exciting as they always are at the start. We had a promising future ahead of us together, she would allow me access to the bunnies that where out of reach to me with my air rifle during the day.

Our first outting together was to the range day at Catton Park. I wanted to get her fully setup and broken in. After a bit of zeroing we went onto the 100m range to shoot at onions. Making them explode was fun for both of us, she was deadly accurate.

Then it all went wrong, we changed ammo and she really didn't like what I was putting in her. She went from deadly accurate to a wild spitting monster. Our relationship broke down, I went home annoyed and lost all confidence in her. She sat locked in the safe for a month or so while I decided what to do with her, spending my time concentrating on my bigger .308

Last week I took her out again to the range to rezero and sort her out. Again she was spitting them everywhere, on the advise of someone more experienced than me we change ammo, chucking out the cheap Hornady and going back to the Remington ammo. 5 rounds later she was bang on again, another 20 rounds to make sure she was deadly accurate again, grouping nicely just about 1" high at 100m.

Feeling happy again and having my permission cleared recently I took her out last night and we've definitely kissed and made up. She took her first rabbit at 120yds with a nice clean head shot. We're now best friends again and looking forward to the weather brightening up so we can get out again and show those bunnies that they are no longer safe sitting out of range of my air rifle because she can reach them out to 150-200yds no problem.

I've learnt that I need to treat her to the more expensive Remington ammo and not be a cheapskate. If she continues to be a good girl I'll buy her some new glass, as the current scope is ***** and doesn't do her justice.
    And of course, Remington 17HMR is made at the same plant as Hornady and Federal, so you'd better buy as much of that particular LOT number as you can so you can keep the romance alive.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    And of course, Remington 17HMR is made at the same plant as Hornady and Federal, so you'd better buy as much of that particular LOT number as you can so you can keep the romance alive.~Muir
    ​ha ha ha !

Get a 22WMR then you can dump the biatch!

she will muck you around again .17's are sluts dump her and move on to a tac 20 cal a sweet young thing none of that spitting out what ever you put inher stuff and better performance

I had a fall out with my HMR as well ..We never did make up and she was subsequently kicked out my cabinet never to return
    .. replaced by a .223, then 25-06, then .222 .. and now .308 on the cards.

Well they do say that there are only two types; those that spit and those that swallow...errr...wait...wrong topic...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Well they do say that there are only two types; those that spit and those that swallow...errr...wait...wrong topic...
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    and she really didn't like what I was putting in her.
    they can all be a bit fussy like that.....