How's the Rut going - is it full on now guys

no after watching a buck serve a doe last week, in the same field tonight, another buck, much bigger than the last one ignored a doe and the caller. never mind on the proper deer tomorrow fallow and reds.

We are getting definite signs here now

Martin

Is the Harvest this year the same as last? Is the Roe Rut this year the same as last?

Why should it matter how Roe rut in Hampshire to how Roe rut in Yorkshire or Fife?

Your ground is yours, you should know..........

​Stan

called a buck to the caller on the 14/7 through until the 17/8 last yr, nothing this yr coming so far.

Was out this morning. Can't see Roe in ALL the fields because of height of crop.

A Doe was called in but couldn't be seen at 30 metres. Doe with attendant BUCK stood up in Rape and only tips showing. No action. Young buck moved onto young calling Doe, again crop too high. Action seen.

Doe with two fawns STILL being attendant. Saw the same elsewhere last Wednesday. Don't think they will be covered this year.

Methinks the love life will happen in the crops before harvest..... Shooters won't see.

​Stan

Seems to be flat out here but same as smullery says a lot is happening in the standing crops, I can look out from a high elevated position over a fair area which makes it easier to see whats going on although if I was on foot I would be struggling to see anything at all.

One Tues eve whilst out foxing saw a buck chasing a doe (on the lamp) but in same field doe with 2 fawns couched in the hedgerow, thats all I have seen, extremly sporadic to say the least. Due for 30c here today might spice things up.

D

I went to my permission in the New Forest last Friday and shot three bucks over four outings. I'll put a write up in when I can get the time.

I wouldn't have shot two of them if they hadn't been interested in the ladies. I didn't use a caller as I lent it to my friend who promptly lost it on the first evening. :doh:

The two lady chasing bucks I bagged both appeared from cover when does had come out into the fields to feed. I hadn't seen a buck since the beginning of June.

So, I would say the rut is definitely getting underway, the bucks are moving about more now and should be good for when I return next week.

Seems to be flat out here but same as smullery says a lot is happening in the standing crops, I can look out from a high elevated position over a fair area which makes it easier to see whats going on although if I was on foot I would be struggling to see anything at all.

flat-out here, or flat out here ? ;)

Question for all who mention how's the rut going ,what's that statement all about the season runs from April to October and or in enclosed lands all year round .So what's the big rut thing ????
I'm really interested to know the answer .

Question for all who mention how's the rut going ,what's that statement all about the season runs from April to October and or in enclosed lands all year round .So what's the big rut thing ????
+1 Well said

Is there a problem with discussing the habits of our collective quarry during certain times of the year?

I answered because the question was put out there. Perhaps the OP prefers to stalk during the rut?

I don't think it's an unreasonable question, there are many stalkers who enjoy the rut with the excitement of calling the bucks, the challenge to get one coming in on the call, seeing those deer that have been laying up quietly for the last couple of months.

If we can't discuss our quarry and their behaviour at certain times of the year, what's the point of this discussion forum?

Fallow stalkers discuss the Fallow rut, as do those who go after the Reds during the rut. It's a new dimension to our pastime that brings new challenges for a short window of time.

The season runs from April to October yes but it varies according to the time of year and the seasons, why not ask how it is going in different parts of the country, it will vary and if you are travelling for some stalking, why not find out what's going on?

Last edited:
I must admit to liking the rut time . I have normally shot plenty of bucks off the ground and its a time for new bucks moving in. The new bucks will get assessed and shot or left as there quality dictates. This year sadly after a miss-hap. The rut will be a time for looking and assessing for next year.

You're right.

We should stick to discussing the relative merits of .308 v .270 v exotic calibre of choice. Or arguing about head shooting at long range.

Has started in Yorkshire. I took a vid of a buck serving a doe about 15 yards away on my phone. Oh, and wasn't wearing any super duper cammo either.

You're right.

We should stick to discussing the relative merits of .308 v .270 v exotic calibre of choice. Or arguing about head shooting at long range.

Hi buddy,

saw a few bucks chasing does around the a697 and a68 this morning again..saturday should be good :)

Back