Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good day ruined

A good day ruined

I got an invite down to Selby North York’s yesterday for a day on the pheasants I get one or two invites a year down to an old friend he has 350 acres of woodland shoot possibly 10 days 20 to 50 birds a day good crack all driven. So I was really looking forward to it so set off from home at 7am and at 8.25 turned off the main road for the 4 miles on the back lanes to the woodland. I got to the t junction at the end of the first lane to turn right and there in the field in front of me I saw a familiar shape only about 30 yards in to a new wheat field complete with tyre tracks going straight over to it.

A young button roe buck laying on its side I stopped the landy on the verge and walked over the buck. I checked the blink reflex and the buck was frothing at the mouth and passing both blood and saliva judging by the tracks and all the paw marks on the soft soil yet another casualty of the poacher well I say poacher but not as I would poacher as I know them scumbag dog men lamping deer. They did not even have the decency to a finish off the deer move it to the edge of the field of take it with them for dog meat as that would have been all it was fit for.
    They just left it to die of a dog bite and exhaustion that’s no fitting end for a deer I dragged the buck to the hedge row and bled it I then had to travel on arriving late at the shoot. Explain to my host what had happened and a couple of phone calls later To the land owner and neighbouring keeper sat having a coffee before the first drive the mood was low.

This is not the first time this has happened it has been going on for a number of years. Because of the way the land is large open fields no hedge rows. A fellow keeper has spent thousands digging ditches all around his boundary. I permission to stalk there and lots of other wood land in the area. Though I have now stopped stalking in the woodland around Selby now. Because I have been stopped more times than I can care to remember by the police wanting to know the inns and outs of a fart who why etc. Then they see the gun bag o my god. Last year they had four successful prosecutions against dog men. Taking their dogs and cars from them and I believe on is now in prison. Was told on Thursday night the police stopped a couple of lampers the car had no insurance and they let them go with a producer.

The day for me did picked up with a couple of good shots and a few birds in the bag but the site of that buck left in the field is still with me.
    all the best ash

Reading this has taken the edge off a very nice cheshire sunrise, I'm gutted thinking about that animal, just as an aside, how in hell can someone be allowed to drive away with no insurance????

That sucks large, as we say over here. When I was young in Massachusetts, the whitetails were relatively scarce and there was an "unwritten law" that any dog found in the woods during deer season was to be shot on sight. When I was 18 I was in a small group of birch trees on the edge of a pasture when I heard a commotion coming from the woods to my left. A whitetail doe jumped the wall and ran into the deep snow and just stood there. A few seconds later three dogs bounded over the stone wall and made for her. I killed two outright and tracked the last into the trees to finish him. (He took 12 ga. buck shot as he ran for the trees) The doe was so exhausted she never moved as I walked within 10 feet of her to get to the dogs.

I like dogs but have no sympathy for dogs that run deer. I would have infinitely less for the men who set them to it.~Muir

We have far too many dogmen operating around selby,

the problem is the police are not interested in them, we have called them out numerous times but if the turn up its the next day.

where abouts in selby were you?
    pm if you like.

I've heard varying reports of the police's attitude to dogmen in North Yorks recently.

Are the police having a bit of a drive to put the pressure on the lads out on the lamp at the mo or not?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bobt
    We have far too many dogmen operating around selby,

the problem is the police are not interested in them, we have called them out numerous times but if the turn up its the next day.

where abouts in selby were you?
    pm if you like.
    This is a serious issue, i know. I`ve virtually given up on 500 acres of stalking because of idiots that think it`s fun to destroy what isn`t theirs. The thing is this, if i do give up the 500 acres then that will finish my stalking career before it`s three years old as it won`t be worth the cabinet that`s bolted to the wall.
    Poaching is a sad fact of life which i want no part of.
    basil.

Basil,

Have you thought of getting in touch with your local Wildlife Liaison Officer? I see no reason why the concerns of a law abiding sporstman shouldn't be investigated by the relevant officer of the law.

Another idea might be to contact the RSPCA. I know it sounds daft but you are undertaking essential activities to protect the welfare of deer. Since the poachers are undermining your legitimate duties and thereby threatening the welfare of deer the little Napoleons of the Animal Rights brigade should jump at the chance to get their uniforms dirty.

poaching

I have it on good authority that there is now a permanent anti poaching officer in Northern England. He is a retired police officer with a track record in shooting. The role is to liase with local shooters and the various police forces/officers to try to get a coordinated response. Unfortunately I didnt think to get the exact details

poaching

I have it on good authority that there is now a permanent anti poaching officer in Northern England. He is a retired police officer with a track record in shooting. The role is to liase with local shooters and the various police forces/officers to try to get a coordinated response. Unfortunately I didnt think to get the exact details

Bas

Remember...old latin proverb........'Noli ilegitimi carborundum' (Not the correct Latin but who really cares)

I totally agree with Iwrch....If you need help get resources that can help you. I contacted my Police Wildlife Liaison Officer and patrols were stepped up. They caught a guy only yesterday who regularly parked up in a wildlife reserve car park next door to my permission who's car was PNC'd and found that he had no insurance. Motor confiscated and be crushed. The Police wouldn't (naturally) tell me if the PNC check had any firearms info on him but it goes to show that the undesirables out there ARE being watched. They stalk our animals.......we stalk them etc.

You are a legitimate sportsman and conservationist (as the majority of sportsmen are) and the law is 100% on your side.

Taking the 'coup de grace' and pulling the trigger is 'ONLY' 1% of the 100% that makes up the rest of the equation.

Give up and they've definitely won the day !
    DON'T GIVE UP !

Regs

Rockin