Thread: Your FAC, SC and Letters of Permission

Your FAC, SC and Letters of Permission

With your smart phone take a photo of the key pages of all of these. You then have the key information with you at all times, incluiding when you leave your actual cerificates at home when you go out stalking. You can immediately demonstrate to whom ever that you have the appropriate documents and that should remove the heat from any situation - you may still have to produce the orginals at some point but you can demonstrate there and then that you are in possession etc.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 01-08-2013 at 16:49.

Good suggestion thanks for posting

Incidentally I've added all the pertinent details on my SGC and FAC to the 'Notes' section on my iPhone:
    certificate numbers, expiry dates; rifle and shotgun numbers even ammo allowances.
    ​Quite handy to have there as a back up and makes it easy for me if I need to review

Superb idea.

Just don't put your phone in the unzipped chest pocket of a combat smock and crawl 200 metres through heather...

Did manage to find it after walking back to farm house, borrowing farmer's mobile, then walking back and forth for an hour calling my phone and listening for the buzz of the vibration.

if you lose your phone any info on it could get into the wrong hands
    just a thought
    cheers lister

I think this is another one of those well meaning ideas that are less use in the real world. Like people carrying 'permission' slips of paper.

These days it would be so easy to alter the name, picture and address on the certs. Any police officer stopping you can check ID and find out if you are a lawful holder of firearms using the police national computer. There is no-one else who has any right to ask me to produce my FAC/SGC. The only other time I ever produce it is buying ammo or guns and then a picture is no good. Your in date certificate scan could have been subsequently revoked.

The ONLY bit of physical paper that stops a policeman potentially seizing your guns is the original FAC.

I would be very worried if a police officer who had reason to believe you were on land you shouldn't be trusting a simple note from the farmer saying it was ok. It's bloody complicated knowing who owns every field in this area, there is no way on earth the police have a clue who owns which field in North Yorkshire. "I farmer Giles let Apache shoot my land" is meaningless. Yet some people seem to think they are the most important piece of paper to carry with you. I don't have any written permission to shoot. If a police officer took that as proof of anything they deserve sacking!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Lost my mobile once and had to take the kids out with me as their hearing much better, called it from another mobile and found it in a thick nettle bed next to a stream where I had retrieved a pigeon, it was in the top shirt pocket, lesson learnt.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I think this is another one of those well meaning ideas that are less use in the real world. Like people carrying 'permission' slips of paper.

These days it would be so easy to alter the name, picture and address on the certs. Any police officer stopping you can check ID and find out if you are a lawful holder of firearms using the police national computer. There is no-one else who has any right to ask me to produce my FAC/SGC. The only other time I ever produce it is buying ammo or guns and then a picture is no good. Your in date certificate scan could have been subsequently revoked.

The ONLY bit of physical paper that stops a policeman potentially seizing your guns is the original FAC.

I would be very worried if a police officer who had reason to believe you were on land you shouldn't be trusting a simple note from the farmer saying it was ok. It's bloody complicated knowing who owns every field in this area, there is no way on earth the police have a clue who owns which field in North Yorkshire. "I farmer Giles let Apache shoot my land" is meaningless. Yet some people seem to think they are the most important piece of paper to carry with you. I don't have any written permission to shoot. If a police officer took that as proof of anything they deserve sacking!
    Couldn't agree more.
    Was involved with the police following a MoP report of men shooting.
    Never asked for my FAC/ letter of permission
    OK, my car was parked in the field, behind a locked gate, and a check of the RO/PNC gave them the details before they rang my mobile asking me to meet them by the car. We had a chat about shooting - they said they knew little about "guns", they made a couple of notes for a NFAR report, and that was it.
    Walked back, had a chat about the rifles/safety/quarry