help a paddy

tika.308

just had my mate on the phone from northern ireland and he is asking for advice.he wants to get himself a rifle for stalking with but doesnt know what to go for.he is new to the sport like myself he will be stalking in southern ireland to and he thinks the .270 is the largest calibre allowed down there so he doesnt know weather to go for that or a .243.he will use it over here aswell.what do you think guys.

Hate to bring it up again but get him to check out 6.5x55, it's a real sweety and will do anything asked of it on these islands.

Hi ya Tikka308
Well you know what ill tell him to go for so ill shut up now before i get bombarded :lol:
Any idea what he used the last time he went out :confused:

tika308.
The ceiling was lifted again in The Republic and now .308 etc. are acceptable.
Sika are hard to kill on the spot so forget the .243 , better and more suitable cals. are available including the .270 , 6.5X55 and .308 .

HWH.

Zapped with a .270 in Wicklow.

EireOCT07andRoeDoes075.jpg

hi steyr243,i think he used a .223 in scotland for his roe buck not sure on the fallow in ireland.i think he should have a proper gun.but we wont go there. :D

Hi Tikka308
I should of guessed that was coming, Especially from you & your shoulder mounted cannon :D :D
You know i will stick with my trusty .243 as its always done the job for me mate. You see it for yourself what it can do on them stags :eek:
Im waiting for more flak now :D
Beowulf i think i could do with a bloody umbrella the amount of rain weve had here :cry:
I really cant recomend a calibre for him to use as whats suitable for 1 person maynot be for another. think he needs to try a few different calibres if he can & get a feel for what he feels comfortable with & most important know his limitations. No matter what he gets there are limitations to ALL calibres :rolleyes:

243 excellent round, but for me on Sika Stags you could do with something a bit heavier, as they can be very tough deer to kill, and last light on the edge of a forest, you need something to anchor them to the ground if possible.

25.06, 270 or 308 they have the slight edge over a 243 with these beasts. I am not against a 243, I own one myself, full wooden stock, lovelly little rifle, but against a Sika Stag you would be advised to use a slightly heavier round. ;)

hey stag ,
that to me is a monster head for a six pionter as the only sika stag i hav ever shot (six pointer it was)was smaller than a lot of roe bucks that i shoot even though dressed weight he was 62 pounds dressed out he tasted good
enjoy stone

I've got a Sika Stag up on JayB's ground looks a bit like yours Stag1933. The stag I have though has a notice around his neck, 'Property of Mr B, do not shoot'! That's right isn't it John. :lol:

sikamalc said:
243 excellent round, but for me on Sika Stags you could do with something a bit heavier, as they can be very tough deer to kill, and last light on the edge of a forest, you need something to anchor them to the ground if possible.

25.06, 270 or 308 they have the slight edge over a 243 with these beasts. I am not against a 243, I own one myself, full wooden stock, lovelly little rifle, but against a Sika Stag you would be advised to use a slightly heavier round. ;)

Couldn't agree more. I love my 243 but use a 308 for the bigger stuff for precisely Sikamalcs reason

Mr B fear not, do not listen to that nasty Sikamalc (the one in the barn escaped!) I have one with your name on it, big bugger it is, Malc said it needs to be, what does he mean? :lol: :lol:

He is there my friend plus his mates shoot as many as you like, but, you know the deal, you kill it, you go get it. :p :p

John

Horizontal rain just now, threat of more wind and rain and snow before morning, just your average Summer day!!

John

sounds nice jayb,pretty much the same in north staffordshire mate the weather not the sika we dont have any :cry: :cry: .i will pass all of your comments on to my mate im going over there on thursday for a few days shooting :D .so keep them coming.thanks everyone

Back