Distance to stalk ?

Cut+Squirt

If for no other reason other than curiosity ..Who on the site travels the farthest to their stalking ground ?
And how far do you travel?

65 miles to one productive spot, over a 100 to the other. I have other bits closer, but deer are thin on the ground there.

I have just one piece of ground that I can shoot on and it is 97 miles door to door.

not sure on milage but its at least a six hour drive usually drive through the night to get out first thing then crash for the rest of the day and then carry on ,not really sure on the drive home its more auto pilot:eek:

Minimum 2hours, but average is probably 4 to 6 hours. The plus side is that there are stuff all other cars on the roads in my part of the world. The beauty of a country the same size as British isles but with just 4.5 million people

lucky you timbo lol
aprox 2hrs south or 2/3 hrs north depending on where i go.
sinbad

not sure on milage but its at least a six hour drive usually drive through the night to get out first thing then crash for the rest of the day and then carry on ,not really sure on the drive home its more auto pilot:eek:

Six hours ..holy sheet ..There can't be many who drive further than that !!!

375 miles when I hunt with my brother and I make that trip twice in a ten day stretch.~Muir
(of course, when I hunt at home it's about 1 mile)

Just over a mile to my own stalking which keeps me occupied for most of the year, then 4 hour trip once a year to my mates place in the Lothian's for the start of the roe bucks and a couple of hours south to raid a friends muntys in Hertfordshire's .

My closest is less than a mile , furthest is 40 min , with 5 places in between .many years ago my one farm was a round trip of 5 hours that I made at least twice a week .

I make a 424 mile journey - each way, twice a year to our syndicate ground in Bonny Midgeland - unfortunately no access to ground nearer, so it suits my purpose.
Mate who travels with me from Somerset is about 60 miles on top of that.
Usually do 1400-1500 miles for our 5-6 day stalking weeks.

Usually 8 hours in disco with quad on trailer, and the mandatory coffee/fag/loo and sandwich stop at tebay.

520 miles, one way, 9 hours x2 if driving...I let Mr Sleezy Jet do that mostly though. :)

Last edited:
41 miles to my regular ground; it's about an hour, dependent on time of day, suddenly I realise I'm very privileged to be so close.

Have made several longer trips but that usually involves a few nights away

Who keeps an eye on these far-off plots? A few years ago I was thinking of buying a block of woodland about 50 miles from home but was dissuaded buy the thought of the local poachers taking advantage of me being so far away.

Who keeps an eye on these far-off plots? A few years ago I was thinking of buying a block of woodland about 50 miles from home but was dissuaded buy the thought of the local poachers taking advantage of me being so far away.

Poaching/poachers will always be a problem, one you can't control...unless you catch them, then that's another matter! Them drainage ditches can get quite deep! :D

621 miles door to door when I go up to Sutherland. Down South I can either walk to my stalking or, mostly, drive about 20 miles.

​willie_gunn

I'm fairly lucky, but one of he lease holders on ground we share travels nearly 600 miles (each way) to stalk. That's commitment!

Having travelled 6 and a bit hours from Anglesey,for the best part of 6 years to our ground in Scotland,long may it continue.
This last year,I've jus got some stalking 45min from home so I can pop home for lunch and a brew after travelling so far for so long.
Just happens to be where we are,it's 5 hours to cardiff from Anglesey.

Back