Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home office guideline

Home office guideline

Min cal for boar is .270. In Europe 6.5x55 is used for much larger game as in Elk, Moose and Bear. With that in mind and us using the term "guide lines" is there any thing stopping me from using a 6.5 for boar guys? Would like to try this but don't fancy another rifle/calibre to be honest as this seems to be capable of the job....

minimum is .270. when the HO says 'guidance'..they really mean 'rules'! same with the FCA (ex FSA)

I hate to contradict, but it is just guidance. I have Deer & AOLQ on my 6.5x55mm and checked that boar is covered with my FEO.

The response was a sigh and a slightly pithy "are boar lawful quarry?"
    "Yes"
    "Then they are covered..."
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 02-08-2013 at 09:34. Reason: Changed legal to lawful before I get shouted at...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

As Farticus said if you have AOLQ then you're fine unless your force conditions your rifle for specific species and does not list boar. Sussex originally told me I needed a minimum of .270 but then gave AOLQ on a smaller calibre and got a bit confused and contradictory when I pointed out that the AOLQ would legally cover me.

I had a similair question, my .222 is conditioned 'fox and any other lawful quarry' where my .243, .308, .260 and .444 are 'deer and any other lawful quarry' so I asked if its ok to use the .222 on muntjac and cwd, and 'yes, it comes under other lawful quarry', if there's nothing in law saying you can't use it, if you think it'll be humane, then it's fine. Though it was pointed out, that maybe it's not a great idea to use the .444 on vermin, rabbits etc, but, it does do a darn fine job on Charlie I must say ��
    Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by TIKKA .223 View Post
    Min cal for boar is .270. In Europe 6.5x55 is used for much larger game as in Elk, Moose and Bear. With that in mind and us using the term "guide lines" is there any thing stopping me from using a 6.5 for boar guys? Would like to try this but don't fancy another rifle/calibre to be honest as this seems to be capable of the job....
    Would i choose A 6.5x55 as my boar gun? No. Would i hunt European brown bear with a 6.5x55? No. Would i shoot Moose with a 6.5x55? Yes. Moose are not hard to kill.
    There was a article in one of our hunting mags about the wounding rates for various calibres on boar. The 6.5x55 came out worse and only seen as suitable for yearling boar.

Quote Originally Posted by TIKKA .223 View Post

Theres you reason for using that calibre,I know of two people who have 6.5 conditioned for Boar........however if you go for AOLQ,JOB DONE......

Put in for AOLQ.......... Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Put in for AOLQ.......... Good luck!
    Hi do Kent issue AOLQ all my rifles are specific in what may be shot with what.

Thanks WB

While I usually believe that we have more than sufficient laws in this country, my personal view is that the law should be amended or new legislation introduced so as to set a minimum calibre/muzzle energy/bullet weight for boar, and not rely upon mere guidance.
    I am very much in favour of AOLQ however while I am not saying that using a 6.5mm is wrong at this time, taking advantage of the AOLQ condition to justify the use of some calibres/cartridges which are quite clearly unsuitable is surely wrong hence the need for clarification and if necessary legislation.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.