Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does The Rut Make It Too Easy?

Does The Rut Make It Too Easy?

I admit to trying to ruffle the feathers a bit with this thread but its not meant to upset anyone...

I was reading some of the comments on another thread where the OP raised the question of ...is the rut started...?

One of the res-ponders, WS, ruffled a few feathers himself with his reply about why should it make a difference in all year round deer management, yet I can see his point in some respects.

Well, on previous threads, primarily when it comes to discussion about shots taken at longer distance, I read comments about 'it's stalking, not shooting..., so learn to stalk..., get in close..., pit your wits and ability against your quarry..., it's about testing your skill against a wild animal..., anyone can shoot from 200yds away, it's hardly a test of stalking skill...,' the list goes on and on.

Well, where does stalking come in to it when we see a buck that has managed to evade us all season (sometimes over several seasons) 300yds away, that comes charging in to a few peeps and as has been described on here, has to be shouted at to stop so the shot can be taken, because he thinks he is about to get his end away?

I know the call does not work all the time. I know there has to be an element of skill in its appropriate use. But apparently sitting in a high seat is not stalking either according to others.

​So where does the use of the call sit with those that think it's all about 'the stalk'???
    Last edited by jamross65; 02-08-2013 at 17:19.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I admit to trying to ruffle the feathers a bit with this thread but its not meant to upset anyone... I was reading some of the comments on another thread where the OP raised the question of ...is the rut started...? One of the res-ponders, WS, ruffled a few feathers with his reply about why should it make a difference in all year round deer management, yet I can see his point in some respects. Well, on previous threads, primarily when it comes to discussion about shots taken at longer distance, I read comments about 'it's stalking, not shooting..., so learn to stalk..., get in close..., pit your wits and ability against your quarry..., it's about testing your skill against a wild animal..., anyone can shoot from 200yds away, it's hardly a test of stalking skill...,' the list goes on and on. Well, where does stalking come in to it when we see a buck that has managed to evade us all season (sometimes over several seasons) 300yds away, that comes charging in to a few peeps and as has been described on here, has to be shouted at to stop so the shot can be taken, because he thinks he is about to get his end away? I know the call does not work all the time. I know there has to be an element of skill in its appropriate use. But apparently sitting in a high seat is not stalking either according to others. ​So where does the use of the call sit with those that think it's all about 'the stalk'???
    personnally i think the call adds another element of excitment to stalking. Fait enough it may take the stalking part out of play a bit. But when u get one crashing through the under growth towards u and u cnt see it until its 20ft infront of you really does get the heart pounding. I like that stalking part aswel but this is just a different element and i get the same excitement from stalking into 50yds or or calling them.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo.222 View Post
    personnally i think the call adds another element of excitment to stalking. Fait enough it may take the stalking part out of play a bit. But when u get one crashing through the under growth towards u and u cnt see it until its 20ft infront of you really does get the heart pounding. I like that stalking part aswel but this is just a different element and i get the same excitement from stalking into 50yds or or calling them.
    I should have added, (I agree by the way about the excitement, you should feel the heart thumping when it's a sika stag wanting to fight running at you through the trees!) I use the call. I use high seats. I shoot deer at distances I am comfortable with that others might decry me for. But is using the call during the rut with sexually charged bucks, a bit like going to a fish pond full of trout and sticking a pellet on a hook and throwing it in?

I don't have an issue with the call, but would guess that some on here may feel it's cheating, too easy, no real test of stalking skill???? Just saying, that's all...

You are right, there is very little skill in 'stalking' during the rut, but I get a real buzz out of calling bucks in, and thats why I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I use the call. I use high seats. I shoot deer at distances I am comfortable with that
    OMG. The next thing you'll be telling us you use A-max as well.

Hows the 6.5-284 going anyway Brian.

​Cheers. Matt.
    Last edited by 6.5/284matt; 02-08-2013 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    OMG. The next you'll be telling you use A-max as well.

Hows the 6.5-284 going anyway Brian.

​Cheers. Matt.
    SST's, they are the legal version...

Still playing about with it, first loads were not that accurate TBH.

I guess it's different folks, different strokes. How do you define a 'stalk'?

Some people like the challenge of calling the bucks and don't forget, it's not guaranteed that you will call a buck, see one in a shootable position or call the right buck in. You still pit your wits against a wild animal.

Is stalking into the wind from behind cover and shooting an animal that has no idea that you're there fair? Is just sitting in a high seat up and out the way of deer to ambush them as they go about their business fair? To some it is, to others it's not and and to others it's a necessity. No-one will agree on the different methods all being fair and equal but at the end of the day if you choose one method over another you shouldn't be criticised for it or have one person telling you one way of shooting deer is more right or wrong than another.

The object of stalking or deer shooting is to kill a deer as humanely as possible and with minimal stress to the animal. The methods employed to achieve this are varied depending on the time of year, the ground you stalk on, your own abilities and probably many other factors that other members can mention.

To me, stalking in the rut is no more 'cheating' than sitting tucked away in a high seat in a place you know will produce deer, is there any skill involved in that?
    Hypothetically of course.
    Deer management is an all year round task and you can adapt and use the deer behaviour at certain times of year to put a buck or doe in the larder.

There is no right or wrong answer to the question as every stalker will have favoured methods and/or ethics which govern how they harvest their deer.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

If we all felt or thought he same it would be a very boreing world!
    I love the stalk getting in to 20yds before shooting it has it's own buzz as dose calling in a buck or stag in the rut each gets my heart going when it dosent I will give it up. I agree it all adds different dimension to things as dose high seats, bipods & sticks, cammo clothing, hides & boxes, telescopic sights & binos, & even some rifles to some purists, all of which adds to the Range of methods devised by us to overcome nature.
    I personally love all aspects of shooting as I do fishing like using the shrimp or prawn, to spinning a sprat or worming as well as the fly or spinning each has ther own application in different conditions & it no different with deer except that we haven't started banning methods yet & I pray we never do or those arts will be lost, so enjoy whatever floats your boat, feel the stag, the rush of adrenalin, & always respect for a worthy adversary!
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I liken Roe stalking during the rut to Salmon fishing with a prawn. An exciting experience with more often than not a predictable result!
    As effective as it can be it doesn't require the same level of skill as at other times of the year. Lets face it calling in Roe is a doddle!
    Doesn't stop it being fun though and if I have a cull target to meet I can't say I am too fussed as to what time of the year I get my numbers as long as I get them and damage to trees etc is kept to a minimum.

Regards

BP

1. Some people like the challenge of calling the bucks and don't forget, it's not guaranteed that you will call a buck, see one in a shootable position or call the right buck in. You still pit your wits against a wild animal.

2. Is stalking into the wind from behind cover and shooting an animal that has no idea that you're there fair? Is just sitting in a high seat up and out the way of deer to ambush them as they go about their business fair?

3. The object of stalking or deer shooting is to kill a deer as humanely as possible and with minimal stress to the animal. The methods employed to achieve this are varied depending on the time of year, the ground you stalk on, your own abilities and probably many other factors that other members can mention.

4. To me, stalking in the rut is no more 'cheating' than sitting tucked away in a high seat in a place you know will produce deer, is there any skill involved in that?

5. Deer management is an all year round task and you can adapt and use the deer behaviour at certain times of year to put a buck or doe in the larder.

6. There is no right or wrong answer to the question as every stalker will have favoured methods and/or ethics which govern how they harvest their deer.[/QUOTE]

Hi Adrian

just reading through your reply...

Point 1 - I know its not guaranteed, but I still feel that many stalkers who have failed so many times on a buck they know is always there, especially with a territorial species like roe, suddenly have the opportunity to use its fuzzy head to their advantage when its not really pitting their wits against an animal. Hiding behind a wall peeping away means the only wit they have to keep about them is containing the excitement.

Point 2 - In my experience stalking in a wind strong enough to mask any noise generally means spooky deer, constantly lifting their heads because of the continual blowing and associated noises with that wind. Wind can assist but a strong wind can make it very difficult and I have often been caught out with the wind suddenly changing or swirling. I'm not questioning fairness at all with the call. I use it, and seats. I don't care when it comes to getting my numbers, I will use any legal method available. I am asking the question really of those who claim it is all about the 'stalk', and there are some on here in that camp who I wonder if they would use the call?

Point 3 - I totally agree. It's not me (or anyone else I know) saying the call should not be used. Just questioning if it means some rely on it to get deer they would otherwise fail on.

Point 4 - I believe there is a skill in placing high seats in the correct location. I have some that constantly produce deer, and others that have now been moved. Guess that's because I'm not a complete expert!

Point 5 - Again I agree, any legal method to make the cull when pushed...

Point 6 - Like I said earlier, not suggesting there is anything wrong with it and as was said, we shouldn't decry anyone else for doing things their way. Like me coming round a corner and not bothering about closing down the 200yds to a beast if all factors are in my favour, whereas others would suggest 'stalking' in on the beast...

(and I am being very careful not to mention the employment of head shots...!!!)