Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of a problem.

Bit of a problem.

I was working the bolt on one of my rifles after cleaning it earlier this week, when the bolt started to intermittently fire on closing. My fingers were nowhere near the trigger, and fortunately it has never happened in the field. Needless to say, this is of serious concern to me, and I know it is a job for a riflesmith to sort out. Any idea what the cause might be? I have a second deer calibre rifle, so this one won't be taken out again until its been sorted.

Possible that either trigger sear could be worn or the trigger spring damaged or broken

Thanks, that doesn't sound like to big a repair job.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I was working the bolt on one of my rifles after cleaning it earlier this week, when the bolt started to intermittently fire on closing. My fingers were nowhere near the trigger, and fortunately it has never happened in the field. Needless to say, this is of serious concern to me, and I know it is a job for a riflesmith to sort out. Any idea what the cause might be? I have a second deer calibre rifle, so this one won't be taken out again until its been sorted.
    I had a similar problem with my Winchester model 70. A very small piece of the [non factory] bedding compound had broken up and was applying pressure in just the wrong place. Each time I pushed the safety forwards, it released the f.pin. Have yoiu had your rifle out of the stock? Even if you haven't take it out and have a very close look at the stock, and the trigger mechanism. It might be something simple. Check the sears are not damaged.

-JMS

What did you clean it with and did you wipe all of it off the sear? Same happened to me and I found it was down to the sear having a coating of oil.

Thanks for the replies. It was just a routine clean of the bore with wipe-out. I use a bore guide, and didn't remove the stock, so I don't think anything should have come into contact with the trigger mechanism.

If its a Remington, its a known problem apparently

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    What did you clean it with and did you wipe all of it off the sear? Same happened to me and I found it was down to the sear having a coating of oil.
    I would be severely concerned if this happened and it was found to be caused by just oil getting on the surface of the sear, doesn't sound like correct engagement of the sear to me.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    If its a Remington, its a known problem apparently
    This is no longer extant.
    Over the years I have had quite a few Remingtons and a few of them I have had for quite a few years and never had a problem.
    The only time I have ever come across the problem mentioned was with a friend's rifle and that was a Winchester, it frightened the life out of me but luckily the friend was very safety/muzzle aware.

It's a Varberger 6.5x55, I bought it s/h two years ago, and it's always performed faultlessly up to now.