Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac round.

Muntjac round.

hi there, i was wondering if anybody had any advice to give on the best load for Munties in .223 i have heard 50Gr hornady ballistic tips are good but does anybody have anything else to offer? cheers

Teddy

With a fair number of munties under my belt I can offer two suggestions to ensure a humane kill:- move away from .22 centrefires & don't use ballistic tips.

Muntjac are incredibly tough little beggars and can carry even a 150gn .30 calibre round a heck of a long way if it isn't put right on the button. I sincerely hope you never have the misfortune to put a round slightly wide of the mark, but if you do and its a .223 50gn BT all I suggest is that you have a good dog at your disposal.

My apologies if this sounds dreadfully negative but the fact that the law now allows minor calibres to be used on muntjac is, to my mind, wholly contrary to the aspirations of the committed stalker to make a clean, humane job of things on every occasion.

I love my monkey shooting and have long held the view that these testing little chaps need far more relative thump per unit of deer than one might imagine.

I appreciate this isn't the kind of answer you were expecting but I felt obliged to make the point.

Best regards,

Iwrch

Re: Muntjac round.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyW86
    hi there, i was wondering if anybody had any advice to give on the best load for Munties in .223 i have heard 50Gr hornady ballistic tips are good but does anybody have anything else to offer? cheers

Teddy
    They will do you fine, Muntjac are not bullet proof like some like to make out.

The .223 is more than capable after all it is used by Nato forces to kill people. Ballistic tip solid base in .224 are a good bullet.

Tried quite a few different heads in my 22/250 for a roe load for scotland.
    Found that without exception the sierra 55g gamekings were best.(same head as sako factory).
    60g nosler partitions would have been better but my 1-14 twist would'nt stablise them bet your 223,s would.

I agree with Iwrch i would not use such a small cal on munties they deserve more respect I use .243 with 95 grain soft points they seem to do the job but they are tenacious little monkeys. good luck

243 Definitely !

hi just to add my pennys worth most muntjac ive shot have been wiv my 222 50gr sako bt never had 1 run yet! shot 2 this month wiv my 243 and both ran only 50yrds but still ran, but 100% agree thay are hard little b****ds
    lee

hi just to add my pennys worth most muntjac ive shot have been wiv my 222 50gr sako bt never had 1 run yet! shot 2 this month wiv my 243 and both ran only 50yrds but still ran, but 100% agree thay are hard little b****ds
    lee

what bullets u recomend for a .223 for munties?

I use RWS in my Tik .223 mate - came away from Fed V shock as i had so many run - and the bullets seporated ruining the carcases.

I'm telling you now though that you need to hit them hard in the engine room as anywhere else in the body/neck will usually result in you looking for your kill. Head shots are an option - but its easy to wound one of these because of their head shape. These little buggers are my main quarry at the minute and having shot quite a few the never ease to amaze me at the distance they can travel once shot. My terrier loves looking for them once shot - long leash and she thinks she's a hound!

T