Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tracking wounded deer

tracking wounded deer

right guys i need some questions answering by those that know far more than me.
    I headed off to my ground in dumfries yesterday and got onto a new piece of land had a stalk and later on had a missed call and then a few more so knew something was wrong.
    i had been asked out to track a leg shot roe in yorkshire and it had gone a good distance and darkness came in, they had marked so much of the trail before stopping and ringing.
    i packed up and headed off i got on the ground this morning for 6 am the roe had been shot at 8pm and we had had a massive downpour making things even harder so was really aprehensive indy would be able to work a hard trail with little to no blood over that timescale.
    we went to the strike and was assured the roe went off in a semicircle before heading for thick forest on a really steep bank. indy set off indicating the strike and was off like a shot went round in a big arc and stopped for a second at a blood spatter it was still present even after the rain so my hopes built but on indication she glanses back to let me know but is keen to be straight on and i find every track she does she is wanting to move quicker.
    should i be slowing her right down? as i am trying to not put her off and you can see when she moves off line she quickly corrects but it is quick i am worried she is going way to fast.
    she marked the couch and crawled under a tree were it had been layed up but had moved the track went on for 600 metres before we crossed onto another boundry at what point would you say that legally you can track for under humane dispatch i ended up leaving the rifle and headed off now i took her off as this deer was very mobile and didnt want to go further across someone elses land i know to be a right pain in the arse ,we went back to a point and indy did exactly the same so i am positive indy did everything right. I would also be keen to ask to watch someone work there dog under a real situation if posible i am learning alot from indy but would like to understand more myself.
    do dogs work at different paces or do you control the pace all help greatly recieved thanks, wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

you did right , it is a bugger this boundary issue in fact its a pain in the arse !

you little dog done well , you should be proud her .

personally if i were tracking , i would have left the rifle and carried on regardless but thats me and not you .

i once tracked a red calf for 1.5 miles and crossed 3 boundaries before i finally got it and dispatched it with my knife .

i just know some one in a jiff is going to pipe up and tell me i shouldnt have carried on , but hey ho never mind .

just keep calm and carry on tracking

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

wayne i think no two dogs work the same speed 2 of mine one which is indys mother cover ground quick, sometimes i think too quick but maybe its the nature of the dog in question but to date they always have come up trumps when needed, my third bmh works so slow its untrue just nose to ground and at a snails pace but always gets there in the end . i think its only natural that a dog working fast makes you think they might be missing something but if she is happy tracking let her be, cheers mike

Wayne, I wouldn't worry to much about the speed if I am right in thinking your hound is a young one, most dogs get slower as they get more experience because the faster they go the more chance of them going off the trail and having to check back to get on again.
    it's always hard to call on crossing boundary's and if the rifle is left behind, then I think the law would be ass on the person concerned if they came down on them.

Would it not be reasonable to expect the stalker who wants the deer he has wounded found to provide you with contact numbers for the estates bordering the ground you are being asked to track on so that you can either obtain permission to enter it on your own, or be met by someone who can oversee the despatch and recovery of the deer?

Well done to you and your hound and sad that the english are so up there arse about boundary,s they really do not care about deer welfare may be a letter to the DI and your MP time for a change down there.
    Also a very good reason to run a tracking dog register with qualifications. Tings do change but you need to change them and you need to provide proof there is a need.!!!!!

thanks for the input , lee i would have carried on if i thaught i could get into a position to be able to dispatch but with it being so mobile i was really worried i kept moving it further away.
    Thanks mike that is interesting to know about indys mum.
    Mr Gain i know the other land owner and is totally against shooting and if i was found he would cause all sorts of trouble and has tried to in the past.
    I dont think i would have stopped if i didnt know how much of a pain this chap is. I will speak to my police force to see what they come up with and hopefully the amount of cameras in the area will pick it up and it will get dispatched ,thanks for all the help, wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    Mr Gain, I know the other land owner and is totally against shooting and if I was found he would cause all sorts of trouble and has tried to in the past. I dont think I would have stopped if I didnt know how much of a pain this chap is. I will speak to my police force to see what they come up with and hopefully the amount of cameras in the area will pick it up and it will get dispatched
    Thanks for the explanation. That's definitely a harder nut to crack that the risk of creating bad relations with neighbouring estates by going onto their ground unannounced - I always prefer to ask permission than to assume it, even when I know the people concerned well. But when you have someone you know will be difficult, then you have a dilemma.

I'm sure I might see things differently if I were in your shoes and had more history on the situation, but in principle I'd still be inclined to call the chap up and explain the situation to him. He may be anti-shooting, and may give you an earful, but if he has any notion of animal welfare he should realise that letting you track and despatch a wounded deer is preferable to allowing it to die a lingering death.

As I see it, if he understood the importance of managing deer -or that by "protecting" them he's not actually helping them- he wouldn't be so hard to deal with, but even though this is evidently lost on him, getting him to understand the importance of alleviating suffering ought not to be so hard, even if he blames you or "your sort" for causing it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. That's definitely a harder nut to crack that the risk of creating bad relations with neighbouring estates by going onto their ground unannounced - I always prefer to ask permission than to assume it, even when I know the people concerned well. But when you have someone you know will be difficult, then you have a dilemma.

I'm sure I might see things differently if I were in your shoes and had more history on the situation, but in principle I'd still be inclined to call the chap up and explain the situation to him. He may be anti-shooting, and may give you an earful, but if he has any notion of animal welfare he should realise that letting you track and despatch a wounded deer is preferable to allowing it to die a lingering death.

As I see it, if he understood the importance of managing deer -or that by "protecting" them he's not actually helping them- he wouldn't be so hard to deal with, but even though this is evidently lost on him, getting him to understand the importance of alleviating suffering ought not to be so hard, even if he blames you or "your sort" for causing it in the first place.
    Thanks for the responce but he has no interest in anything but causing trouble and does not get on with anybody in the area, I think my best way forward is to talk to the police about this issue about boundry and maybe in the future be able to ring it through to be able to proceed ,if the deer had gone in the other direction it was a different outcome being other ground and not this chaps. my reluctance was also due to the fact i have a variation issue coming to a head this next week and really dont want any issues arising before this time.
    after going back over niels sondergaards book on roe i feel i did the right thing ,as it should stay in this area and hopefully it will get dispatched. I have some positives if not all ,from indys point of view i was very pleased how she worked the trail as this is a heavy worked area with roe and could really see the difference with her on track and then coming off to go back and work from that point she is really coming on and after reflecting on how she worked i saw a clear difference at a point of the couch that we probably pushed the deer forward and seeing her step up a gear was an indication of fresh scent this is a massive learning curve for me and trying to read the dog is very new to me I will be back out working from a book again to lay better trails so i can understand her more. atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    Thanks for the responce but he has no interest in anything but causing trouble and does not get on with anybody in the area, I think my best way forward is to talk to the police about this issue about boundry and maybe in the future be able to ring it through to be able to proceed
    The police can not help you in this as they can not issue you with the legal permission to cross the boundary and enter the said gentleman's land. Regardless of how much you would like them to be able to do so. Only the landowner or their agent can grant you the necessary permission. A fact that those who attend RTC's in England and Wales would do well to remember. Before scampering off with Fido in hot pursuit of some lightly clipped deer in the early hours of the morning.