Thread: Head cutting products

Head cutting products

Hi,

not really ventured into trophy prep before, would anyone recommend any of the skull cutting jigs on the market? Or the ones to a avoid? and are there any that can do the larger species ie red as well as the smaller ones like roe? Or do you need a different ones for each?
    Any advice gladly recreceived

cheers

Jim

Head cutting jigs are expensive and I found them easy to bend. I just use a sharp hard point wood saw after the head has been skinned but before it has been boiled, you can normally get them fairly straight but any that are a bit skewiff you can fair up on a belt sander before mounting.

Thanks for that jubnut, was at a game fair today watching them measuring medal heads and some of them looked like they had been cut with a laser!! Very neat and some amazing heads!! I have always had the same approach as you and never had such impressive results!! Fairly straight would be an improvement!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Head cutting jigs are expensive and I found them easy to bend. I just use a sharp hard point wood saw after the head has been skinned but before it has been boiled, you can normally get them fairly straight but any that are a bit skewiff you can fair up on a belt sander before mounting.
    Spot on. Bench belt sander from machine mart will cost less than a roe jig!

I got my jig from Bushwear, they sell them for 30 + p+p.

It works fine for me, hasn't bent, well made, gives an accurate cut and if they end up wonky then it's operator error!
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    +1 had a jig at one time but have not used one for many years nor would I go back to one, if cutting freehand
    its not a bad idea to cut from either side ending up in the middle that way if you do go off a little it will not be noticeable when mounted.

As has been said a belt sander would be ideal for truing up heads, I don't have one and use an angle grinder
    with a four and a half inch grinding disc it works a treat and takes seconds.

Finally if grinding or sanding bone wear a mask, the fine dust is not conducive to health.

JAGERSPORT , had mine years.

Thanks for the advice, I actually have a grinder too! I like the idea of starting at opposite sides of the skull!! This would definitely make levelling off alot easier!!

​Need to go find a good head now and put this into practice!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo617 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I actually have a grinder too! I like the idea of starting at opposite sides of the skull!! This would definitely make levelling off alot easier!!

​Need to go find a good head now and put this into practice!! Lol
    ​Haha. Don't practice on a good one.