Jelen Deer Management course 4 months on

Shropshire Lad

I did the Jelen Advanced Deer Management course a few months ago. The subject of academic further education has been discussed forcefully on SD and I thought it would be useful to give an active recreational stalker's view point on this type of course and whether it's value for money.

First off, when I did DSC 1 I learned a lot. DSC 2 on the other hand was an assessment of what I already knew as an experienced stalker rather than an educational process. I wanted to gain more knowledge and so did Jelen's Advanced Deer Management Course. I learned loads - much more than I could have done by simply stalking.

So, was it worth it? Well, from my point of view the formal learning has increased my knowledge about deer, added an additional element of enjoyment to my stalking, given me a greater appreciation of my role as a deer stalker/controller/manager and enabled me to put more of the right deer in the larder. I did the course with an interesting group of like-minded people and I really enjoyed the process.

Recently, I was fortunate to be asked to manage the deer on an estate. I had been recommended to the landowner as a person suitable for the job. However, I am sure that the fact that I was able to show that I had continued with my professional development went a long way to reassure the landowner that I was serious about doing the job right.

Today I got an email from Mike at Jelen Deer. He had attached the latest course lecture notes which had some additional material not delivered on my course. This was quite a surprise as I would have expected to pay for updates like these. It appears that Jelen's policy is to let previous course delegates have the latest material as part of the service. Thanks Mike.

I can only comment on the Jelen course as I haven't done any others (I think the BDS course is the only other one). For me, the money I spent with Jelen was worth every penny and if there were a follow-on course to this one, I'd sign up like a shot.

ATB

​SL

Last edited:
Nice advert...........:-|

I have always found landowners that are in the know, to be more interested in a persons personal recommendations, their previous hands on practical experience, their demonstrated professional competence and their commitment to doing the whole task. Than the paperwork they might hold from some little known training provider............
They also understand that should an individual show that they have a dsc1 and or dsc2 it is not proof of any of the above. But does enable them to shift their legal responsibilities should they intend to lease the stalking rights.

Which is an entirely different can of worms. :tiphat:

The very best of luck with you new deer management role.

Nice advert...........:-|

I have always found landowners that are in the know, to be more interested in a persons personal recommendations, their previous hands on practical experience, their demonstrated professional competence and their commitment to doing the whole task. Than the paperwork they might hold from some little known training provider............
They also understand that should an individual show that they have a dsc1 and or dsc2 it is not proof of any of the above. But does enable them to shift their legal responsibilities should they intend to lease the stalking rights.

Which is an entirely different can of worms. :tiphat:

The very best of luck with you new deer management role.
...... :rofl:

I'm glad you liked it. As someone once said, unfortunately I can't recall who, and without appearing too cynical

Don't pee down my back and try to tell me its raining.......

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing......:lol:

Thank you Shropshire Lad for this very interesting insight into this course and its benefits to you. I am particularly fascinated as a very good friend and fellow stalker is about to complete the same course and it will be interesting to see what he thinks of it. A note about the additional material would be well spent. Good luck with your management project. Cheers K

Thank you Shropshire Lad for this very interesting insight into this course and its benefits to you. I am particularly fascinated as a very good friend and fellow stalker is about to complete the same course and it will be interesting to see what he thinks of it. A note about the additional material would be well spent. Good luck with your management project. Cheers K

Krabyn,

Thanks for your response. I hope your friend enjoys the course and gets as much out of it as I did. It would be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Kind regards,

​SL

Thanks for taking the trouble SL to provide a follow up. Rather than an advert I would describe it as a testimonial. That's what SD is all about I think, barring the professional cynics of course.

Thanks for taking the trouble SL to provide a follow up. Rather than an advert I would describe it as a testimonial. That's what SD is all about I think, barring the professional cynics of course.

Thanks Gm. That was exactly my purpose. I see plenty of reports on here about positive experiences with retailers and service providers. This was no different.

I always wonder at people's motives for posts like Tankgunner's :-|

Thanks Gm. That was exactly my purpose. I see plenty of reports on here about positive experiences with retailers and service providers. This was no different.

I always wonder at people's motives for posts like Tankgunner's :-|

Perhaps a quick explanation might help.

I have no axe to grind. My motive... a simply expression of doubt. If people willingly buy products and services and are happy with them...great.However years of reading endless marketing copy makes for a very caustic eye when it comes to "unsolicited" endorsements of products and services. Such endorsements, especially those of the single source variety, make me look even more critically at the product or service they purport to support.
As has been written many times.................... there's no such thing as a free lunch in this life.

Enjoy reading your new "free" lecture material.:tiphat:

Last edited:
Perhaps a quick explanation might help.

I have no axe to grind. My motive... a simply expression of doubt. If people willingly buy products and services and are happy with them...great.However years of reading endless marketing copy makes for a very caustic eye when it comes to "unsolicited" endorsements of products and services. Such endorsements, especially those of the single source variety, make me look even more critically at the product or service they purport to support.
As has been written many times.................... there's no such thing as a free lunch in this life.

Enjoy reading your new "free" lecture material.:tiphat:

No, your explanation doesn't help.
Yes, I did enjoy reading the new material.
There appears to be an emoticon missing from the library that I would like to place here: ____

Some people who are at the very early stages of learning regards deer will benefit from any type of learning whether that be Books DVD, Internet and Stand in Courses. While this is clearly an Advert i am sure that the OP meant what he said. I wish him well with his estate and well done for getting a good job.

Some people who may be long in the deerstalking tooth, can benefit from such offerings, ..... not aimed at anyone in particular, just balancing the books a bit.

Some people who are at the very early stages of learning regards deer will benefit from any type of learning whether that be Books DVD, Internet and Stand in Courses. While this is clearly an Advert i am sure that the OP meant what he said. I wish him well with his estate and well done for getting a good job.

David

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately far too many see over eager novices as little more than cash cows to be milked at every opportunity.

This would be something I would like to see the likes of the LDMG address at the earliest possible opportunity.

Some people who may be long in the deerstalking tooth, can benefit from such offerings, ..... not aimed at anyone in particular, just balancing the books a bit.

Steve

Which of the current batch of training offering would you recommend to those stalkers with more than a couple of years experience. Who have perhaps had their own stalking for say 5-10 years, have shot more than one species of deer, have their relevant DSC's and game handling certs, know how to reload, can butcher a deer carcase to a reasonable standard, and have no desire to become involved with park culling or live capture?

Wasn't recommending anything/anyone in particular, to anybody, just pointing out not all long serving stalkers are above learning something, why have a go at training providers, whoever they may be?

Finnbear270 i was not suggesting that we ever stop learning. But there are more productive types of learning when you have been round the course also training providers learn just as much from the participants.

Last edited:
Wasn't recommending anything/anyone in particular, to anybody, just pointing out not all long serving stalkers are above learning something, why have a go at training providers, whoever they may be?

Steve

I know you weren't making any recommendation. However, you did suggest that such training could benefit some. I was interested to find out which of the current offerings you would recommend to the stalker/s that fitted my proposed selection criteria.

Understand if you feel disinclined to make a recommendation.

Back