Thread: Very old mannlicher

Very old mannlicher

Zero'd an old stutzen mannlicher yesterday for a friend .
    the rifle is in 7x57 Mauser and was rebarrelled quite a few years back and I am assured the rifle is very old like twice my age .
    My friend also has one in 7x64 which is equally as old
    the double set triggers were interesting as was the shotgun style safety
    i would hate to hazard a guess on the amount of deer they have shot over the last 50 years he has owned them !
    One point he did say and the spelling is incorrect was one was made in a place called ferlach and was known as such and one a ferlacher and it was made just outside the place or town .anyone shed any light on that for me .
    regards
    ​norma

Ferlach as probably many will know, is a southern Austrian town where some very fine gunsmithing and engraving is traditional. Other than the arty/craftwork done there and one or two famous & exclusive names, the prices work out of Ferlach commands is generally pretty high. ATB

http://www.fanzoj.com/en/home/index.html
    Last edited by deeangeo; 04-08-2013 at 07:54.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thankyou very much for the info ,
    regards
    ​norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Zero'd an old stutzen mannlicher yesterday for a friend .
    the rifle is in 7x57 Mauser and was rebarrelled quite a few years back and I am assured the rifle is very old like twice my age .
    My friend also has one in 7x64 which is equally as old
    the double set triggers were interesting as was the shotgun style safety
    i would hate to hazard a guess on the amount of deer they have shot over the last 50 years he has owned them !
    One point he did say and the spelling is incorrect was one was made in a place called ferlach and was known as such and one a ferlacher and it was made just outside the place or town .anyone shed any light on that for me .
    regards
    ​norma
    As has been said Ferlach is a town in Austria which has been at the centre of high end gun making for over 500 years. They had the patronage of the Austro Hungarian empire, with all the wealth that created throughout Central Europe. There are about a dozen, perhaps 20 master gunsmiths building top end guns that match and probably exceed the top end London makers. Difference with the London makers is that they seem to like pushing the boundaries of innovation. They are particularly known for top end single shot rifles (kipplaufs), bergstutzens - a mountain rifle with two barrels, one a high velocity 22 rimmed centre fire and the other in a 7x65r or similar, combination guns, drillings and double rifles.

If you look at the proof marks and serial number you can find out who built them and when - see below.

A number of the bigger Ferlach makers make rough parts and forgings that are finished off by others. They also buy in actions and barrels from elsewhere, including Germany. Many would also build guns for other retailers. I have a lovely 16 / 7x65r that is labelled Heinrich Munch:Aachen that as in fact made by Joseph Hambrusch.

You had a very similar situation in the British gun trade, with many guns being made as rough parts in Birmingham and then finished elsewhere, and even the best London makers building guns hat were retailed by the Army and Navy Coop or Harrods.

The Ferlach proof codes are as follows:

Ferlach, Austria: The proof house's number, followed by a dot, then by a 2-digit number for the year, as: 346.33 for the 346th gun proofed in 1933. During the 1980s a three letter code was adopted, for example: ETR, where the first letter is the month code, the second letter is always a T and the third letter is the year code. Also, an individual gunmaker's code appears in the following format: a 2-digit number followed by a dot and then typically a 4-digit number where the two digit number is the code for the gunmaking firm and the four digit number is his serial number

Gunmakers Code Numbers. Ferlach, Austria

(This page will display most clearly if you enlarge your browser's window to full screen)

Pre-1945 .xxxx being the maker's serial number

Number Maker's Name

20.xxxx Stefan Dusel
    25.xxxx Martin Kruschitz
    27.xxxx Simon Kalishnik
    28.xxxx Peter Mischitz
    29.xxxx Josef Mischitz
    30.xxxx Josef Orasche
    31.xxxx Michael Pegam
    32.xxxx Anton Sodia
    43.xxxx Johann Sigott
    44.xxxx Walter Gratzer
    45.xxxx Erich Achatz
    46.xxxx Josef Schonlieb
    47.xxxx Lorenz Schaschl
    48.xxxx Josef Fanzoj
    49.xxxx Franz Rp. Schmeid
    50.xxxx Franz Schmeid
    52.xxxx Valantin Rosenzopf

Post-1945 .xxxx being the maker's serial number

Number Maker's Name Number Maker's Name
    21.xxxx Johann Fanzoj 38.xxxx Genossenschaft (Gunmaker's Guild)
    22.xxxx Josef Hambrusch 39.xxxx Fachschule (Handgun Tech. School)
    23.xxxx Karl Hauptmann 40.xxxx Ludwig Borovnik
    24.xxxx Josef Just 41.xxxx Johan Michelitsch
    25.xxxx Josef Kruschitz 42.xxxx Josef Winkler
    26.xxxx Jakob Koschat 43.xxxx Thomas Kulnig
    27.xxxx Simon Kalischnig 44.xxxx Walter Gratzer
    28.xxxx Peter Mischitz 45.xxxx Erich Achatz
    29.xxxx Josef Mischitz 46.xxxx Josef Schonlieb
    30.xxxx Josef Orasche 47.xxxx Lorenz Schaschl
    31.xxxx Michel Pegam 48.xxxx Johann Fanzoj
    32.xxxx Anton Sodia 49.xxxx Franz Schmid
    33.xxxx Franz Sodia 50.xxxx Franz Schmied
    34.xxxx Johann Sigot 51.xxxx Gottfreid Juch
    35.xxxx Walter Outschar 52.xxxx Valentin Roesenzopf's sons
    36.xxxx Wincenz Urbas 53.xxxx Wilfried Glanznig
    37.xxxx Benedikt Winkler 55.xxxx Herbert Scheiring

Many thanks for that I'll try and get the numbers and find out very interesting .
    cheers
    norma

You don't say which model of Mannlicher you have. To some old would mean the Model 1890, 1892, 1893 or 1895. Even the model 1900 and 1903 are seen as fairly modern to some.

I would say its around the turn of the century Brit I'm trying to find out serial no .

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I would say its around the turn of the century Brit I'm trying to find out serial no .
    Mannlichers are often marked as to model. Sometimes on the left wall of the action or more often on top of the receiver ring.

Also the legend found on a lot of the Schoennaur models will indicate it's age as it changed several times in the title of the company.