Thread: strange looking buck

strange looking buck

grassed this buck yesterday,with deformed antlers, and both sides are almost identical
    ive seen quite a few with diformed antlers over the years but never one like thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1479.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	523.8 KB 
ID:	31014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1478.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	31013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1480.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	31015

Indeed I think it's well documented that this 'corkscrew' antler abnormality is often associated with parasitical infestation inc lungworm. With the chronic liver fluke we had in the roe in the last 2 years I saw no obvious related deformation though.

6.5 - have you seen more than the normal amount of oddities of the same piece of ground? I ask as a friend (on this site) has a dining room full of roe abnormalities nearly all from one particular estate - many of them are 'corkscrew' so indeed it must be a genetic trait - like the Jura 'Cromie' reds.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Any parasite evidence?
    ​none that i spotted , everything looked fine inside no fluke

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Indeed I think it's well documented that this 'corkscrew' antler abnormality is often associated with parasitical infestation inc lungworm. With the chronic liver fluke we had in the roe in the last 2 years I saw no obvious related deformation though.

6.5 - have you seen more than the normal amount of oddities of the same piece of ground? I ask as a friend (on this site) has a dining room full of roe abnormalities nearly all from one particular estate - many of them are 'corkscrew' so indeed it must be a genetic trait - like the Jura 'Cromie' reds.
    Nick
    no havent seen any more that normal but just never had or seen a [corkscrew] on any of my grounds
    heres one of my ground
    when i inspected the internals there was no sight of anything suspicious ,it was a neck shot so all internals were in good condition to inspect Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1369_zps6a36fcfb.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	31016

Did you check the lungs for lungworm? On the second head most likely damage in velvet as it was just the one side IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Did you check the lungs for lungworm? On the second head most likely damage in velvet as it was just the one side IMHO.
    yes i agree the 2nd pick was prob done while in velvet
    and yes i checked all internals ,ive never come across lungworm on any deer ive shot

Good point, I see you reside in Berkshire nor did I see any when I lived in Wiltshire! The cases of lungworm=corkscrew I have heard of were all in SW Scotland - I guess, like so many other diseases esp bronchial ones the wetter areas suffer more? Very thin long light coloured threads seen when lungs dissected with, in worse cases scarring on the exterior, I've only ever seen them in Scotland and NW England.

Very interesting head wow !