Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a #*"# idiot

What a #*"# idiot

This is a lesson in taking ones time.
    The day is drawing on and you are in a rush to get to a high seat, leave the house and load up the truck, secure rifle in the back along your jacket etc, place swarovski 8.5x42EL binos on roof whilst opening the drivers door, get in and drive off realising a mile down the road that binos are not on passenger seat but still above head in the fresh air.
    Slowly stop truck and watch binos slide off roof onto opposite side of road, still they should be ok, that is until speeding car coming the other way doesnt care to avoid you pride and joys.
    What a mess binos are in bits lenses cracked, both casings smashed, hinges buggered etc etc etc.
    Insurance wont cover and feeling pretty low so give swarovski a call, sent them to us says the nice lady and we will see what we can do.
    Well these are going to be the bionic man of the binocular world be they can be mended, basically a total new set in parts, but at 503 its a damn sight cheaper than a new pair.
    Ah well at least it wasnt a weapon like one gun did last year on a shoot day.

Did they bother replacing the strap? Sounds like that was the only original bit that was worth keeping!

I feel you pain mate.

My wife say I love my binoculars more than her and the kids

Nope, you just can't replicate that sick in the gut feeling when realisation dawns!!

"cocker" you are not as stupid as you give your self credit for one of the guns 4 years ago finished shooting went back to the land rover dropped the Ess on the lead and placed the lead over the toeing ball "you can see already were this is going" put his gun in the back took his coat off and put his shoes on shut the door said his goodbyes and jumped in the landy and drove off he only stopped after a phone call from one of the guns telling him of the dog he had covered a mile or so on the track
    the dog was OK just a number of cuts a bruises but it could have been a lot worse

now that's stupid

I think I can beat that for being stupid, how about taking a client out shooting a Buck then going and getting another one leaving the glasses on the 2nd Buck in the grass then going back to the vehicle with the client. Picking up the 1st animal then going to get the 2nd but then getting distracted by another animal and driving over the 2nd animal and glasses which then hooked up under the suspension by the antlers and strap and went for a drive with me, then spending ages looking for the dead animal and glasses which I assumed had been stolen.
    The end result one bald deer and cracked lens on the Swarovskis and a lot of p**s taking by the client.

Well did the same thing last weekend.

Was busy doing a Grolloch on a fallow buck in the dark so put my 15x 56 geovid's on the bonnet of a Mitsubishi L200 forgot I'd put them there so they fell off the bonnet and under initally the front wheels and then the back wheel's of the truck as we drove off....

On examination and luckily once I had wiped off the tyre marks only damage done was one of my lens covers had been ripped off.

Jason
    Ps I learnt a lesson that night.....

Well did the same thing last weekend.

Was busy doing a Grolloch on a fallow buck in the dark so put my 15x 56 geovid's on the bonnet of a Mitsubishi L200 forgot I'd put them there so they fell off the bonnet and under initally the front wheels and then the back wheel's of the truck as we drove off....

On examination and luckily once I had wiped off the tyre marks only damage done was one of my lens covers had been ripped off.

Jason
    Ps I learnt a lesson that night.....

I have done the same with my old 7 x 42 SLC's. Top of the truck only to be told by my mate that he has just seen them bouncing down the road in his rear view.

Basically I put it down to making mistakes when tired. We all get up at daft times of the day chasing deer around and also trying to use the day hours to do jobs etc.

One thing I never compromise on is rifle safety - always bolt open and always check and check again. This is second nature to me as it is how I was brought up but **** does happen with lack of sleep.

Its worth checking your home insurance for just this type of thing. I use NFU and for contents (inc firearms) and dog insurance. I had no problem at all when I lost a pair of binos a few years ago, they were replaced new for old with no hassle. Insurance is a funny thing, I can't think of any other product that we would buy on price alone without a good indication of how that product will perform which is what most people do with insurance. JC