Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quad experts!

quad experts!

got the quad out today 1st time in a year. hit the start button and it creates a mechanical buzzing sound by the battery box thing.. tried jumper cables and let run for 1hr, but still the same. battery is less than 3 yrs old,,,did i kill the battery by not using it?

i would say so if you are not using it for any length of time you can get a cheap trickle charger for bikes to keep it in good condition,atb wayne
    ps just try another battery

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Mine does that when it's not been used for a few months, and the pull start is a back breaker
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

thats a ****ed batteery get a new one and all is good
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

If the battery is the old fashioned type that can be topped up it may be low on electrolyte - get some D.I. water & fill it up. Then put it on charge on a trickle charger that has a pulse type of system (Optimate or Ring RSC508 both good choices to look at) & it may well come back to life over a while.
    These pulse chargers are great - you can leave them connected & switched on for months & you won't damage the battery. Being tight & having 5 motorbikes to keep charged I made my own version of pulse controller & ran them off a single charger. All the bikes would start first time anytime & the batteries lasted better.
    It does pay to buy decent quality batteries for bikes / quads as there are some cheap rubbish ones that don't last very well however you charge them.

​Ian

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Could be battery or could be sticky starter solenoid. Take the battery off and get it tested before buying a new one. Then buy an ACCUMATE for motorbikes. Best charger ever made for small batteries and you can leave it on.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

£35 get a new batt feller i used to plug mine in onto a bike battery conditioner trickle charge when not in use and remove the poz'y lead from the battery if left for long than 3weeks.

Trickle chargers are a must. My quad mostly gets used in the winter to lug me and bags of wheat around pheasant feeders. It shares garage space with my motorbike (mostly summer use) and between them both they share a charger. The most well known charger for bikes is the Optimate, which you should be able to get from your nearest motorbike garage, or online. It includes wires that connect to your battery with a plug on the other end that makes plugging the charger into it easy peasy. It also revives dodgy batteries, to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    £35 get a new batt feller i used to plug mine in onto a bike battery conditioner trickle charge when not in use and remove the poz'y lead from the battery if left for long than 3weeks.
    I just give it a 5 minute run up to the top gate and back every 14-18 days. Never had a battery problem in 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    got the quad out today 1st time in a year. hit the start button and it creates a mechanical buzzing sound by the battery box thing.. tried jumper cables and let run for 1hr, but still the same. battery is less than 3 yrs old,,,did i kill the battery by not using it?

I take it started no prob's with the jump leads? if so it's the battery (possibly misunderstood ur post)

Must admit ithe buzzing or clicking noise can be a starter motor/solenoid problem, if jumpers never made a difference then some other problem, but i'm no mechanic.
    But if it started no prob's with jumpers defo the battery, better to buy a new 1 for piece off mind even if a battery every 3 years not that expensive really if the bike starts when u want it too