DSC1 How to remeber seasons and dates?

scubadog

I am studying for my DSC1.

One thing that I am struggling with is to remember is all of the dates; UK and Scotland seasons ,Dates antlers are cast, Dates antlers are in velvet, Dates fawns are ejected ect.

Does any one have any methods they use to remember these?

Here's a few... (for the purpose of answering DSC questions)

You take the big scottish girls out at 21.15 (cos you don't want to spend too much money on them) :D - 21st Oct to 15th Feb
Most calves are born May-June, last years are kicked out in April before the new ones are born and you count last years intake in March before they get kicked out. So there you have March, April, May, June.
Big stags cast before the calves are born so they don't hurt the babies with their big antlers (not true but a way to remember it)
​English dates are always beginning of month to end of month.

what I did was to forget the closed season and remember the open seasons.... just seemed easier that way. In England most of the dates form patterns ie: 1st Nov - 31st March or roe of some sex are always in season. the Scottish deer are a little more tricky but do form some patterns. hope that helps.

also by the time you do your test you will have looked at them that much you could probably mutter them in your sleep!!!! if my memory serves me correctly they (the examiners) don't ask you to state the dates but you will get a selection of date questions in multi-choice format so that gives you a memory jog.

Thanks for the tips. That's exactly the sort of thing im after.
One other I have read is that in England the big boys are A to A (August to April)

Scottish stags and fallow bucks drink J20

July '2 0'ctober =

1st July to 20 October.

Does that make sense? Ps April fools for roe

I couldn't get it into my head untill someone told me this:

Females are always shopping in H&M.
Females (Hinds) are in season November to March...Hinds November March....HnM.
Males are then the opposite (A2A, April to August). Then you just have to remember the odd ones out.

Thanks fellas - that's useful! As I read though, it does seem to me a bit archaic to have to remember dates parrot fashion.

regards

​Ian

Never understood the focus on testing for the grasp of dates as of all the facts; other than disease ID where a picture booklet in your backpack is to be recommended, how demanding is it to have the open seasons printed on a slip of paper that is left in vehicle and/or den?

K

Never understood the focus on testing for the grasp of dates as of all the facts; other than disease ID where a picture booklet in your backpack is to be recommended, how demanding is it to have the open seasons printed on a slip of paper that is left in vehicle and/or den?

K

Exactly , you know what you are likely to see depending on where you are so double check your books if in doubt or simply print this off and laminate it and keep it with your FAC Deer Seasons

Back