Thread: The Man from the FSA-he say "head Shots" Yes!!!!

The Man from the FSA-he say "head Shots" Yes!!!!

Guys

You are going to love this one:

We had our inspection visit from the south's regional head FSA inspecter as my business is in the process of changing from local EHO over to Food Standards Agency due to the fact that the business is going to be an Approved Game Handling Establishment & no longer exempt as a primary producer (in basic terms we dont shoot enough or our own deer & now buy in bodies to fill the gap).

Anyway whilst he was sprouting his bull, he asked how the deer were shot? to which I replied that 65% were cavity shot & about 35% neck shot.

He then stressed that everything entering the food chain should be head shot!

I was just astounded that he was not only sprouting **** but knew jack **** also!

How the hell can a guy with that job just still not know a single thing about deer managment & even the most basic issues in terms of best parctice & expect us to take on board 100% to the letter of what that want with respect to the inspections in future?

Regs Lee

To be fair, so the guy has a gap in his knowledge which you've identified. No doubt you have explained the situation to him and he will have learnt something new. Whether or not he uses that new knowledge and shares it with his colleagues or goes further and looks into the situation in greater depth is up to him. My local EHO had no experience of deer culling so I took him out on a mornings park culling to see the process from start to finish, i've nothing to hide in the way I operate so why not? He gained a lot from it. When you think of the wide range of tasks and subjects that EHO's/FSA staff have to deal with, its no suprise they don't know it all. Now, if it was an FEO you were moaning about thats a different ball game! I'm afraid most of those don't seem to have the ability to administrate a good poo! JC

FSA

JC

According to the 2008 Wild Game Guide from the FSA he is a VMHA & works for the Food Standards Agency, he is in charge on Approval for AGHE's down here.

With respect to the EHO's down here that have been fine, New Forest District Council put them all through DSC1 & I think that one of them has now even taken up stalking too.

I was not able to take any of them out though as I was told there was a conflict of interest had I done so -which I can understand to be honest, prehaps the FSA should have done the same with their senior staff before they let them loose.

I think at least DSC1 would give them an uversight & understanding of what goes on from the field to the larder.

Regards Lee

That is a good idea putting people through the DSC1. I will suggest that to my EHO as he seems keen to learn and do things right. One thing he told me recently was that by far the biggest headache he has is that half the times he goes to visit an establishment it has changed its use so comes under a different set of guidelines. I wouldn't want their job for all the tea in China. Maybe BDS/BASC or someone should draft a short document to give to people in this industry?

I have not read the guide or statute but what I would be tempted to do if his actions are impinging on your business, would be to approach a solicitor with a possibility of judicial review.
    Its a bit lengthy to explain (law student) but the gist of it is that if a local enforcement officer is following guidelines that are unreasonable (google Wednebury unreasonableness for further details) or are beyond the scope of power which he may enjoy in that position (given by statue) or he has not followed a required procedure that has had a detrimental effect, then the courts can review this and provide remedies such as a quashing order.

It depends how far you want to take it.

I have not read the guide or statute but what I would be tempted to do if his actions are impinging on your business, would be to approach a solicitor with a possibility of judicial review.
    Its a bit lengthy to explain (law student) but the gist of it is that if a local enforcement officer is following guidelines that are unreasonable (google Wednebury unreasonableness for further details) or are beyond the scope of power which he may enjoy in that position (given by statue) or he has not followed a required procedure that has had a detrimental effect, then the courts can review this and provide remedies such as a quashing order.

Quote Originally Posted by Wills
    I don't think that Lee (the OP) was infering that the FSA Inspector was insisting that current good practice be changed - just that the inspector wasn't clued up about dealing with wild deer (or even field slaughter by the sound of it!).

You bring up a good point about Wednesbury Unreasonableness there, and it is quite well explained in relation to another subject close to us all - conditions on FACs - in the BASC document you can download from here http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...44064E62F3689D.

Nice touch in reminding the Force Firearms licensing staff of this:

" When there is disagreement with the wording of conditions, such conditions must be negotiable. Where a request is made for a condition to be changed, the burden should fall upon the police to justify its retention, rather than vice versa. Please listen to the concerns of your customers and be prepared to justify and document your actions. If you fail to do this you leave yourself open to complaint and possible public censure."

FSA

There's so many initials flying around these days that when I read your thread headline I confused it with the Financial Services Authority and thought I know bankers aren't that popular at the moment but that's going a bit far!.

fraser