Reloading

Hi alycidon
Its not my name you have seen on other sites mate. This is the only site i use & ive not been on here long.
Stone
I will take a look at your set up mate when we meet up if thats ok with you :confused:
Thanks everyone for the information you have given me so far. This is not something im gonna rush into & want to get the rite stuff to do the job properly. :D

Steyr243. No you do not need a case polisher to begin with. It is a round vibrating tub that you put various medias into and up to 180 used shell cases, and it makes them all nice and sparkly :D .

My RCBS kit came with everything, nothing was missing. Including powder scales (very important) although there are some nice all singing ones now that are digital.

I thinks its important that you take a look at other kits about, and at least get someone to show you how the kits are used. It is not a black art, BUT great care and attention must be paid at all times. You are very welcome to visit me and look at the kit I have if you are passing.

quite correct Sika, a jar of citric acid powder from the chemist will do just the same thing. Dilute a few spoon fulls in some water and chuck in your cases. That will get most of the shite off.
Then
polish with some fine steel wool.GENTLY

Your right there Poddle ;) but after all this time of re loading and polishing cases by hand, well the really grubby ones anyway, I saw the case polisher on offer, and thought bugger it, I will get myself one.

Trouble is they had run out of the cleaning media, which I believe is ground walnut shell or maize? so I am waiting for them to get some in. Then I can start polishing, and I have quite a few cases that need attention :rolleyes:

Sikamalc
Sounds like a good bit of kit you have bought. Stuff polishing by hand :)
You must have tiny fingers to get inside them cases :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder what Beowulf uses to polish his :D Im sure it came from one of them sites he keeps looking at :eek:

Unfortunately I don't reload. :cry: No one will help me! Its so unfair!

I read somewhere that some snipers polish their individual rounds to make them perform better. :confused: I won't tell you what I polish, but its working! :lol:

Beowulf, do you think of Beavers whilst you are polishing? :lol:

And You are correct again Sika, its' just crunched walnut shells used as the media for the polishing.

Ask Beowulf for the remainder of his nuts when he's finished with them,

They should clean off eventually ;)

Hi I started reloading a couple of years ago was really nervous at first,as long as you do it following a good reloading manuel its a doddle, be careful. Once you get used to it you can play about with bullet depths etc and tune them to your own rifle

Hi Chris,
It's something I want to get in to. If for no other reason than to have the bullets I like all the time rather than having to phone around all the gun shops in the area to find some!

JAYB
lee (or any other manufacturer) do not make carbide dies for rifle as the insert comes out, if you do not lube you case/ necks thats your choice, your dies are just steel, even redding comp etc are steel, but they use a nitride bush for the necking part(which is interchangable), this is detracting from the real issue for steyr 243 needs, which is as people have said he needs to see someones set up, then decide how much he wants to spend on the reloading kit

steve

Steve,

I don't recall mentioning carbide dies at all, don't know why I would really as I only neck size my brass, using Lee kit, http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1200919139.5425=/html/catalog/dies-dlxrifle.html

I certainly would not advocate to steyr 243 that he starts to reload before he has made all possible enquiries in relation to it. That is why I suggested that he took up Sikamalcs offer to have a look at his setup. I am sorry if I have caused any confusion.

I would like to say though, that although reloading can be dangerous, if you are methodical, and do things properly it is nothing to be afraid of, after all crossing the road can be dangerous if you do not follow the rules. There is IMHO a lot of B.S. thrown about in relation to reloading, a lot of stuff only applies to bench rest and target shooters and does not really apply at all to the average stalker. Getting all anal as to whether it is loaded to within 5,6 or 7 thou of the lands in order to reduce a group from an inch to half an inch is the domain of the competition shooter, most stalkers would be more than happy with an inch group. There is obviously a place for this type of reloading but when it all starts to be flagged up to the beginner this is, I think, too much.

To start with KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid, take the basic ingredients load a round, fire it safely. Master that and then you can fiddle to your hearts content.

John

Forgot to say, Mr B if you are not already at it, reloading that is, we shall get you started when you come up to shoo this biscuit eating stag.

JAYB,
sorry if i read it wrong but when you reload with steel dies you lube them, when you use carbide you don't, so i assumed you were talking about reloading rifle with carbide this is where i was confused, i do reload with competition dies, but i definetley will never recommend them to beginners, it is far to complex, in this case, a simple set up single stage press, a two die set (no crimping), set of powder scales, as the cases become longer then trimmers and a set of calipers.
I used to shoot pistol so when you bought dies you automatically insisted on carbide so you do not have to sit and lube hundreds of cases per week which would be an absolute pain in the neck.
if you reload and develope your loads, you can easily get half inch groups, with most rifles, consistency is the key to this,
I do apoligise again.

steve

Back