Reloading

Fester

Hi folks
Reloading is something ive never done before & to be honest with you i wouldnt even have a clue where to start so im after a bit of help & advice of the people in the know as they say :D
Would any of the fellow stalkers on here be able to tell me what equipement ill need & an estimated cost to get started please & also any other info that mite be relevent :D
Many thanks in advance.

Hi Nick,
The 'Rising cost of ammo' thread has some good pointers. Failing that come to the butchery and reloading day Rob is putting together! I'm a reloading virgin too! :oops: :lol:

Beowulf
But i am not worthy :D

Rob if you read this could you let me know where & when is it please. Any help would be good as this is something i really dont wanna mess up :rolleyes:

He won't answer you Nick!
You have to raise your hands to heaven and say " Oooo great all knowing and merciful Rob Mac.....creator of the Stalking Directory Oracle. Please except this sacrifice of my first born beaver in honour of your greatness"!
That usually does the trick! ;) :lol:

Beowulf I really am getting worried about you. This beaver thing has certainly woken something deep within you,

Did you realise until this week that you were such an avid beaver fan?

Hi Steyr243. I have loaded my own for about 10 years, using an RCBS kit.
Its not rocket science at the end of the day, and it does save you money.

I got my kit brought over from the states, so I got the whole lot for half of what you would pay over here which is about £380 to £400 now, although in the states it will be half. Mind you I have just bought a RCBS case polisher for under £60 brand new from Wilson and Wilson in Kent, which is good value.

Dont forget its not just the loading kit you will need, its also the die sets for each calibre you have.

Hi sikamalc
Thanks for the reply. Ive got a friend in canada at the moment & she is due back soon. Looks like i mite be giving her a list if its that cheap. :D
I take it then that you buy the dies seperate from the rest :confused: Is it the same kit for every calibre & the only bit thats different is the die :confused:

Hi Poddle,
You are worried, so am I! :eek: I think its because the nights are getting a little lighter and I'm getting out stalking at least twice a month with some very generous members of this site!
That and the fact that I spend at least an hour a night answering pm's and another two posting on the site. What I am saying is this site really has helped me out no end, and its made me a happier person knowing that I'm not alone in the world, there are plenty of people out there that feel the same about many issues as I do. I'm just happy and 'Doo lally tap'! :eek: :lol:

Steyr243. The RCBS kit comes complete with everything you will need for just about any calibre. However the die sets are bought seperatly, and vary in price. As a rule they are around £40 each over here, in the States again half the price.

The only thing the set does not include is a case polisher, which as I have siad I have managed to secure from a local shop at a knock down price :D

As you are coming down this way (Dover) if you PM me and let me know when you are in the area I would be happy to show you my setup and meet with you. I am about 30minutes from Dover.

steyr 243, I have reloaded for years and when I started I went with a Lee Anniversary kit, I got this kit because it is a cheap starter kit and my thinking was if I didn't get on with it, the financial loss would not be too bad. If I found I did like it then I could "upgrade" as and when I needed to. I am still using the Lee kit, I have acquired a few extras along the way but basically it is the Lee, there stuff is cheap but not bad.

This of course will not help but confuse you more :eek:

John

Steyer

If you buy carbide dies you will not have to mess around lubricating the cases.
All dies fit all the kits no matter what the make.

This is getting confusing now :confused: My 1 brain cell is overloaded :D
Thanks for the advice so far gents.
A friend of mine has a load of lee stuff but not sure what it is. He used to reload pistol ammo. Would this be the same stuff for use on rifle ammo :confused:
sikamalc
What is the purpose of a case polisher mate :confused: do the cases have to be polished before there used again :confused: When im down your way ill take you up on the offer of meeting up thanks. i know dover area & kent quite well anyway as im from south of watford gap myself. I then ventured north of it & never looked back :D

You only use carbide dies on straight walled cases such as 38 special etc,
bottle necked cases such as 308 will need to be lubricated

steve

243win said:
You only use carbide dies on straight walled cases such as 38 special etc,
bottle necked cases such as 308 will need to be lubricated

Steve

Not necessarily so, I use a Lee neck sizer, this way only the neck is re-sized, and therefore no lube is needed. The case has been fire formed to suit the chamber of my rifle, and as I will only use these rounds in my rifle (and you should never use anyone else's reloads) that is all that is needed.

The stuff your mate has in Lee will be OK, the press etc. it is just the dies you will need.

It's getting easier all the time isn't it :evil:

John

Thanks JAYB
I will phone him monday & see exactly what hes got.
What about scales, am i gonna need them as well :confused:

hi steyr 243
if nothing else do not rush in and buy your kit untill you hav atleast looked at some one else's set up
when i started a was given that much info i was lost in it all but once shown it was such a basic operation to master and there were some accessories that were not to essential for the beginner but you can always add if you need to
i hav the RCBS master cost nearly £250 and that had discount but still had to add to that just to make reloading easier ,simple things like a small jug to catch the powder from the powder thrower were not included or a primer pocket cleaner how important could that be ?
all the kits out there will be short of some thing that you may need as long as you know what that is you can deal with it , with out to much hassle, you are very welcome to look at my set up or some one closer may do the same in this case, with so many experienced reloaders at your finger tips, window shopping is a good thing,
good luck
stone

steyr 243,

You will need scales, unless you intend to use a dipper!, you need to look at as much info as possible to give you a basic knowledge. Take a look around this site, it is just one of many, it will give you an idea. Then take Malc up on his offer. Failing that nip in to see me this afternoon, or maybe tomorrow, I intend to do some reloading. :lol: :lol:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1200827119.2101=/html/catalog/anivers.html

Have fun.

John

I would recommend that you get an experianced reloader to show you the ropes. I have seen your name on several sites, pop your rough location in and I am sure someone will help you. I am in the East Midlands if it helps.

Dont want you accidently blowing yourself up, not funny.

A

Back