getting deer off the hill

bauldy bob

Hi there
can anyone tell me the easiest way to drag a red off the hill withot getting a hernia!!!!
I have been stalking for 15 years but only roe,this is the first year i have been shooting red,I have had three this year and each time has been a nightmare to drag it to a track!!the last time I sweated like that the wife was a week late !!!!!I know a quad would be my best option but treated myself to a new rifle and kit this year and the missus says something about a stupid holiday next yeAR!!(I would rather go shooting or fishing for a fortnight)
I lose as much weight as I can from the beast,gralloch, head and legs but a mate says i
should leave head on and drag it head first,another said a sledge but I dont fancy carrying that about hill,
any suggestions would be appreciated before hinds start!!also any sugggestions about the various drags and harneses
cheers[/i][/u][/b]

i dragged a sika stag a fair spin today only 140 pounds.
i use a home made shoulder strap ,the trick is to get the head off the ground as high as possible.
and summer on the bike , look over your shoulder before you squeeze

There is generally no easy way round it, unless you use a quad or other mechanical means, if it's agreeable to you you should take a mate & share the shots & the work, Steve. :D

Possibility:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0035361227679a.shtml

Have purchased one recently, tugged out a Sika Hind with no great effort & with temperatures being quite warm, no issues with the 'cold cracking' or damage mentioned in some of the reviews.

Rolls into a light tube that is slung on your back - I bought it for the occasional large Reds I have difficulty lifting onto a quad.

So far - thumbs up! :)

Rgds

Ian

You could just carry it off the hill, I carried a 115lb stag off last week and the 2 Kiwis I took carried theirs off too. Get stuck in!

We had a Kiwi that was calling us "pussies" for not putting them on our backs and carrying them out, that is until we told him our stags weigh between 120kgs-130kgs larder weight, full up they weigh in excess of 180kgs.
AVG hind 70kgs
AVG calf 45kgs

regards
griff

Hi Bauldy

The way I see it........If you can't extract it without either suffering a heart attack or worse a hernia ........DON'T shoot it. That's the problem with stalking/taking Reds and the ease of taking Roe and Fallow.. CARCASS EXTRACTION !

Some people do it on their own (usually the younger/fitter amongst us) but hell, I've just turned the big 60 and taking big animals on your own is definitely not my scene. In these areas I need support in either vehicles and/or men and the problems with logistics of same.

Regs

Rockin

there is always a method called piece meal ;)
works on all lager species especially in deep ravines or trecherous ground like clear fell
half the animal , half the weight
just twice the walking :evil:
better than struggling ;)

Make up a two piece rope with an old car seatbelt and length of decent strength nylon rope, then get it over your shoulder and put your weight behind it!
2009_1020_105127AA.jpg

2009_1017_110919AA.jpg

rockingod said:
Hey Roz

I like that one, good idea. You don't even look like you struggling !

Rockin

Definately wasn't struggling in the second pic, as I was behind the camera! :lol:

Dragging a Sika/Red Hybrid out of an Irish forest. [ The trick here is to have a pal who is as strong as a horse and willing !!!!! ]
Note the wide strap.

HWH.
HybridGlenmacnasswithBertBass005.jpg

ha ha !!liked the you tube vid but the thought of ticks and lice down my neck and wellies dosnt really appeall!!!
like the harness idea will prob make one up and try it,
think the main prob is the ground i shoot has a lot of realy boggy ground
mabye I will just join the gym (NOT)

Back