Thread: Drinking excessive amounts of water

Drinking excessive amounts of water

Hi Morena

My 12 year old Black Lab has recently started drinking lots of water, more than usual, and im suspecting potential kidney/renal issues.

She has always enjoyed excellent health, so I am wondering is there a simple bood test that can establish (or not) the cause, with a look to then working on the treatment.

Ive not yet had her to my own vet, and would be interestd if you could give your opinion.

My terrier started to do the same at the start of the year and he had never done this before. I thought nothing of it until he peed in the house one night which he never does. I noticed the pee smelt very strong and took him to the vet where they took a sample of urine from his bladder via a syringe and sent it off for analysis. turned out he had a bladder infection which a few days of tablets cured. He has been good as new ever since (well as good as new a 10 year old dog can be!)

Hi Foxx,
    Differential diagnosis.
    When was your bitch last in season.
    Is she a maiden , not pupped. Suspect pyometra ( pus in the womb ) even possible after breeding from her.
    Cystitis; bladder infection
    Kidney disease or infection
    Diabetes blood glucose elevated
    Temperature due to infection

you then go into the unusual. Cushing"s syndrome etc

Get a sample bottle from your vet.
    Take a fasting urine sample ( when your dog squats put clean takeaway container under her but let her start first otherwise it becomes a game of catchup ) and get to vet surgery soonest the nurse will test and take action from there Blood tests etc
    morena

Quote Originally Posted by morena
    Hi Foxx,
    Differential diagnosis.
    When was your bitch last in season.
    Is she a maiden , not pupped. Suspect pyometra ( pus in the womb ) even possible after breeding from her.
    Cystitis; bladder infection
    Kidney disease or infection
    Diabetes blood glucose elevated
    Temperature due to infection

you then go into the unusual. Cushing"s syndrome etc

Get a sample bottle from your vet.
    Take a fasting urine sample ( when your dog squats put clean takeaway container under her but let her start first otherwise it becomes a game of catchup ) and get to vet surgery soonest the nurse will test and take action from there Blood tests etc
    morena

I had a similar with my youngest spaniel( dog though) he was tested for cushings syndrome but it never materialised to anything . Good job he is insured

He is ok now so we never got to the bottom of the problem

Jonathon

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Our labrador bitch, Fallow, had pyometra when she was three. She had recently been in season but had never been mated. She was urinating a lot and seemed generally lethargic. There was no discharge at all. We took her to the vet who fortunately diagnosed the condition almost straight away - she was immediately into the operating theatre and the uterus was removed. Apparently it is meant to be about the size of your little finger but Fallow's was swollen to the size of a full-on breakfast banger!!

The vet said another 24 hours and we'd have lost her. As it is, she recovered successfully.....well, she's a grumpy old b*tch but that may be unrelated to the pyometra She still loves coming stalking with me

willie_gunn

Thanks, all, esp Morena.

To answer your questions, she has had two litters, the first at 4yrs (10 pups), the second at 7yrs (8 pups), and was treated for a metritis after her first. She should be due a season any time now.

Thinking about it, she has recently had a heamatoma in her ear (which had to be drained), which was a result of scratching due to an ear infection. Following reading your reply, and again looking at her ear, it is hot, and does look a little infected to me, so perhaps this is related as you suggest?

Anyway, I think a trip to my vet is the next step, be it to look at ear, if nothing else, and discuss her excessive drinking.

Thanks for your help, and I will let ypu know the diagnosis when we hoefully find out.

Foxx

Thanks all esp Morena,

Sorry for the delay in replying , I said I would, so here it is. The timescale may inform you of the severity of the diagnosis, or not, as the case may be.

My old bitch which has now turned 13 had an underlying 'strawberry' tumour that erupted before and over the christmas holiday. My vet said this was most probably the cause for her increased drinking as per my previuos msgs.

It was successfully removed bt Mr Gilbert in January and all of her urine and blood tests came back normal after testing for anything more sinister.

She now only works off hand signals because she is totally deaf, and has failing vision, sometimes mistaking me for the Missus before she gets the whiff of perfume, and realises its the wrong legs!

Having said that she can still tell me when our stalk is a waste of time, or alternatively her eagerness can make me stay when I think I should go home, and more often that not (be it in seaon or not) a deer appears.

She is still my best friend and its nice to know we still can trust each other implicitly. I guess this episode has made me me realise how much I will miss her when she isnt here, but made me realise how much I rely on her while she is.

Foxx

Foxx