Thread: Looking for scope help and advice

Looking for scope help and advice

Hi guys. , well my shooting 2mates have been going to Germany for the last few years shooting boar. I've not been able go for various reasons , and due to Leigh's extension this year I said no again.
    So imagine my surprise when they both chipped in this year to take me as a 40th birthday present
    The only fly in the ointment is my scope on my 308 , it's a crappy hawke that came with it

it so my question is what kinda scope should I be using ? What kinda money is involved ? And do any of you guys have anything suitable for sale ?

​Brian

well my 6x42 is for sale, but you may not want a 6 power. personally I think it's fine and I'd be happy using it, PLUS, it's perfect for anything back at home! AND,, it could be with you on thursday morning, ready for the weekend ;-)

...I'm really trying here! ha ha ha

Brian,

I cannot give you much advice regarding the scope. Im going on my firsr driven boar hunt later this year. I would say you wont be waiting to long on this forum before the advice comes flooding in. However the reason for my post I hope you have a great trip and by the sounds of it from your post re: the extension etc you have being through a lot over the last few years I think you deserve a good hunting trip abroad.
    The very best of luck.

Regards,
    Glendine.

Brian,

if its driven you ideally want a red dot scope like an aimpoint or an illuminated reticle with maximum 2.5 magnification. I prefer a dot or basic crosshair as you will have enough distractions !!

if its high seat stuff under the moon you again ideally want an illuminated reticle but can get away without one as I have done on previous occasions but 50mm/56mm objective is preferable.

a good idea which would cover everything would be a 1.5 - 6 x whatever or 2.5 - 10 x 50mm illuminated as the stuff will be fairly close and often moving.

Someone might even be able to lend you something suitable if its for a one off. Best if luck and enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll let us know how you get on.

Mick

Thanks guys. I shoulda said it will be high seat , i dont think i am upto driven shooting yet
    Last edited by Scots_stalker; 06-08-2013 at 15:30.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    well my 6x42 is for sale, but you may not want a 6 power. personally I think it's fine and I'd be happy using it, PLUS, it's perfect for anything back at home! AND,, it could be with you on thursday morning, ready for the weekend ;-)

...I'm really trying here! ha ha ha

​illuminated ??

2.5-10x50 is an ideal size which will cover most needs. Germans often have two scopes for one rifle with quick change mounts.
    The 2.5-10 mag is just ok for driven shoots as well as high seat.
    I shot my first boar running past me at about 10 yds with a 2.5-10x52 old school Zeiss.
    Have a look at the Kaps-Optik range of scopes. Very good quality, made in Germany at a slightly better price.
    edi