Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence precision moderators- caveat et emptor

Lawrence precision moderators- caveat et emptor

So I decided to splash out and buy a titanium mod for my 308. With all the noise on this site and youtube I was convinced it was for me, and good for my dogs and my own ears!
    Simon at Lawrence precision was very helpful and I have to say the service very good with a turn around time of less than a week. the moderator looks fabulous and weighs very little.
    So far so good. Living in Cornwall I had to post the rifle up to Simon for the Mod to be fitted, this cost with insurance £79. When it arrived the RFD quite rightly would not let me have it as it was not proofed. So the mod now has to be sent to the proofing office at an additional cost.

When you pay £795 for a moderator you expect the best, and also a legally registerable device. The firearms proofing laws of 2006 clearly state that any barrel or attachment to a barrel through which the projectile or products of combustion pass needs to be proofed. so all Mods need proofing before they should be sold.

If you are thinking of purchasing one of these mods, which do look fabulous (and I hope they perform as well) then do be aware that the price tag is more than is quoted. So is the time frame. Once the proofing office returns my new mod I will let you know how it performs.

Caveat et emptor - let the buyer beware!!!

Wow! Nearly £800 for a moderator, it better be the best thing since sliced bread mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post

The firearms proofing laws of 2006 clearly state that any barrel or attachment to a barrel through which the projectile or products of combustion pass needs to be proofed. so all Mods need proofing before they should be sold.

The proofing of mods is very much open to interpretation of the law (unsurprisingly championed by the proof houses) and has not been proven

Check out Jackson Rifles website here

Reflex Suppressors UK website and look under the "Proof Testing" on the left of the page
    Last edited by Wsm; 06-08-2013 at 18:12.

how do you prove a mod is it tested on a 26inch barrel or a 1inch barrel the design should be able cope with the gasses but the pressure will change with length
    cheers lister

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Caveat et emptor - let the buyer beware!
    Et?

Anyway, I hope the moderator lives up to expectations.

Glad I'm happy with my cheap Hardy Gen IV, or I'd be getting Mod Envy!!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

My Omega watch tells the same time as my Rolex but costs about 30% of the cost of the Rolex -- but my Rolex does tell others a bit about me !!!!

So what would it cost to get a couple of rimfire mods proofed, would it be more than their original cost ?

Your proofing difficulties aside, you should find the moderator to be an excellent piece of kit, I am very pleased with mine.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Very pleased with my Aurora although its no where near as quiet as my PES ,still very happy as its far lighter and quiet enough....