Thread: Binocular Magnification.

Binocular Magnification.

I am thinking about upgrading my binoculars, and have seen some Minox HG's 8.5x43's & 10x43's reduced to just over 400. I currently have a pair of Opticron 8x42's. I struggle to get a good image at longer range, which makes it harder to judge head quality etc. I'm leaning towards 10x magnification, but is 8.5x likely to be noticably better in low light? Most of my stalking is roe on open ground, although I do a bit of hill stalking from time to time.

I personally think the quality of the optics is way more important. I've got a set of 10x compacts that weren't that cheap (prob a couple of hundred quids worth these days??) but I can make out so much much detail with my 8x Leica's. Not used minox though, so can't comment on how they would perform against your current 8x.

As magnification increases so does "shake".

I find x 10 mag needs a solid rest all the time so I've stuck with x 8.

Stan

Quality and brightness of the optics is much more important than magnification. I use 7x42 Ziess Classic Binoculars and they have a very bright clear image.

I also have a small leupold 10 to 20x spotting scope with 42mm objective lens, to llok at heads in detail, but have found in practice good binoculars are just as good, and much better if there is less than perfect light.

A 10x binocular will not be as good or as bright as a 7 or 8 power and also will have much more shake.

You will also find that for extensive viewing and scanning, as we when stalking, 7 or 8x are much easier and less tiring on the eye.

Re: Binocular Magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68
    I am thinking about upgrading my binoculars, and have seen some Minox HG's 8.5x43's & 10x43's reduced to just over 400. I currently have a pair of Opticron 8x42's. I struggle to get a good image at longer range, which makes it harder to judge head quality etc. I'm leaning towards 10x magnification, but is 8.5x likely to be noticably better in low light? Most of my stalking is roe on open ground, although I do a bit of hill stalking from time to time.
    Magnification is one factor but I think lense quality is probably more important. Your 400 budget would get you a secondhand pair of Zeiss or Swarovski's then you will really see a difference. 'In Focus' at Titchwell, Norfolk had a second hand pair of Zeiss 10x40 BGATs in the other day for 399. 'CleySpy' also often have similar stuff and are great to deal with. JC

MR68

go for the Minox 8.5 you will not be disarpointed in any way ....neil

I have seen the Minox for a shade less than 400 so it might be worth running an internet search. I think someone on here posted a link recently.

Minox are running out their current line of binos. They are going to return with price tags in the 1000 range. I suspect they caught on that they could charge more for them.

If you are worried about light then I have a pair of 8.5X43 and they can see deer when neither my eyes nor my scope (it is a S&B 8X56 so known for being good in low light) can see them. In fact using mine I was able to count the points on a small stag that walked up behind me one night, with the naked eye I couldn't even see the stag. I've never used the 10X43 but in view of my experience I would have little concern about their light gathering ability, the 8.5s are way better than a rifle scope or naked eye.

I've recounted this before but some time back I lay beside a man with a pair of comparable Swaros. I could see the antlers on the small stag in the group with my Minox and he couldn't. I'm not saying they are better than Swaro but their low light performance is certainly very good and I suspect in a few months time you will be paying close to swaro money for the Minox HGs.

Thanks for all of your responses - I decided on the 8.5's, and managed to get them for 389, which saved me 30.