Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget spotting scope.

Budget spotting scope.

As per title, Although I will later use whilst hunting this will primarily be for checking paper targets when zeroing the scope from 100 yards up to 150 yards, will a spotting scope suffice so as to spot holes and check groupings roughly so that for quick adjustment to start with dont have to walk there & back every time?
    Or suggestions, other than stop being a lazy bast..... haha

I thought along similar lines and went really budget 26! It was rubbish for spotting holes as couldn't get a clear enough image anywhere from 20x to 60x zoom. I took it back and now just walk back and forward which takes ages as you have to then settle your breathing and heart rate down plus get comfortable. I'm not sure how much you'd need to spend in order to get sufficient quality to see bullet holes at 100m+ but I'm sure others have got spotting scopes of various budgets so could recommend a particular brand or model.

What sort of budget have you got is the first question??

Budget means different things to different people however may I suggest you take a look at the Helios range. They are well established and been going for many years. I picked up a 20X scope of their manufacture some 20 years ago and the optics are very good and have used it on the range and for bird watching.

20x is a bit low for picking up .22 holes at 100 yards though.

​Helios is a Russian manufacturer BTW and they make a lot of camera lenses.

Lidl do great deals occasionally.
    If you register on their site they will advise you of what's coming up.
    It doesn't solve the problem immediately but it may be worth waiting for.

Thanks for the replies folks, in regards to budget i`m willing to spend up and around 100 if it is for sure that i`ll be able to see the holes from .17 and .243 in paper at 150 yrds.
    Was thinking of something like this NEW 20-60x60 Zoom Telescope / Spotting Scope boxed | eBay . your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Lidl do great deals occasionally.
    If you register on their site they will advise you of what's coming up.
    It doesn't solve the problem immediately but it may be worth waiting for.
    the one I bought was from lidl which for 26 was pretty good but couldn't make out the holes from my .243 at 100m as the image was a bit milky. For bird watching or spotting deer it was worth it but no good as a range scope. I'm not knocking Aldi/Lidl as I love their bargains and make regular trips to get them.

​Some years ago I bought a variable 18-36 Inpro scope and although I have used it for both range work and wild life watching I would NOT recommend it as it's simply not good enough.

One thing to watch is that the type of target and it's colouration makes a huge difference in being able to see the bullet holes especially with the miniature calibres.

Contrary to what has been suggested here better optics are required for bird watching not lesser ones.

Having a huge magnification is often a mistake as the slightest movement, breeze and especially mirage will make it almost useless. Quality of optical lenses and coating is far more important.

As you have been already looking on e-bay I did a quick look and there is Vivitar and Praktica amongst known makes within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post

One thing to watch is that the type of target and it's colouration makes a huge difference in being able to see the bullet holes especially with the miniature calibres.
    This.

Use a light coloured target, like LR shooters who have e.g. white background and light blue bull (instead of black).

Another thing you could do is place a contrasting colour cardboard etc. some distance behind the target. I've seen 300m UIT shooters train by placing a white blanket at the backstop behind the targets to spot the hits on black bull (they obviously don't have the option to choose their target colours).

Around 12x riflescope is plenty to roughly spot the 6.5mm bullet holes at 150m if using suitable targets.

You could also try something like this:

Make Your Own Shoot-N-C Type Targets for Pennies Daily Bulletin

A chap I work with recently got a Kowa 2nd hand in a local charity shop for 75. I don't know much about their model range but it was in good condition and has nice optics, pretty amazing optics for 75. They come up now and again on ebay but usually do over 100 from what I can see.

The other thing you might consider is a draw type scope as you could use it for stalking or could mount it on a tripod for your target and zeroing days. Nickel and Hertel and Reuss are two names that come up pretty often on ebay and they are worth 50 - 100. Occasionally you see people bid crazy money for them but they simply aren't worth it. I recently picked up a Hertel and Reuss in not great cosmetic condition for less than 60 and it works well for my purposes. The advantage with them is that they were good quality German engineering in their day and even though they are 30 years old now a decent one should work well for you.

Another step up with the draw scope type optics is Optolyth and they tend to do more money with the 2 draw 30X60 coming in around 250 - 350 usually. The 30X80 Optolyth is bigger and heavier than the likes of Hertel and Reuss which might be a factor if you wanted to take it stalking, it is also shorter when extended and that makes it more difficult to rest on a knee when lying down spying.

There is a place in Glasgow, "Glasgow Binocular Repairs" which can do work on most of the draw type scopes and they aren't hard to pay so providing there isn't a serious fault a Nickel or Hertel and Reuss off ebay for less than 100 can be good value and, when you have the cash, you can pay another 70 to have it cleaned and serviced and have it working like new. Clearly you'd be hard pressed to find someone to work on some cheap Chinese "no name" scope.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/