Thread: Muntjac Head

Muntjac Head

Hello
    I have shot what looks to be a very good Muntjac but the antlers were still covered in velvet. Is it worth boiling the head and trying to remove this to see how good the antlers are?
    thanks for your time
    ​Nick

I would post an introduction before boiling the head so you don't get admin jumping all over you

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    I would post an introduction before boiling the head so you don't get admin jumping all over you

+1 and get your head boiled

Put a photo up so we can see if its worth stripping the velvet. If the tips are still round and soft then you may find the points have not fully formed yet and you'll end up with a porous chalky set of antlers at the tip. If the velvet has started to shrink and you can see the contours and a pointy tip to the antlers then you'll have no trouble boiling and stripping them. You'll probably want to stain them if you want the head to look authentic, but you'll find it really hard to achieve the pollished look of authentic naturally stripped hard antlers

Or you can have the velvet cured and leave them has they are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOKIA Lumia 800_000236.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	528.9 KB 
ID:	31177

Thanks for the info Treehouse. As you can see they are still rounded so maybe no good. It was a shame i couldnt wait a few more weeks, it was the start of July and a friend in Norfolk is over run with them and asked me to go and knock a few over for him