Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti poaching officer

anti poaching officer

as discussed in a previous thread there is an anti poaching officer but he is nationwide not northern.

link www.esnews.co.uk/?p=4767

not going to please everyone but at least its a start
    [/url]

This may be the little acorn from which the oak might sprout.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    This may be the little acorn from which the oak might sprout.
    I would like to think so but if the police around here are anything to go by, i don`t hold a lot of hope.
    basil.

Even if the police do there job well the courts will not

Correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that if you are caught poaching deer your vehicle is confiscated, you can receive up to a £4000 fine, your FAC revoked + weapons confiscated, and if its an off ticket weapon thats used, up tp 5 years inside.

Just to restore my faith in the justice system, someone on here please tell me they know of a case where this was so

Max

You still holding your breath Max, or are you dead yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Even if the police do there job well the courts will not

Correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that if you are caught poaching deer your vehicle is confiscated, you can receive up to a £4000 fine, your FAC revoked + weapons confiscated, and if its an off ticket weapon thats used, up tp 5 years inside.

Just to restore my faith in the justice system, someone on here please tell me they know of a case where this was so

Max

...And the farmer will lose his single farm payment!!!

Max is correct.
    Here in the North West we had a case recently when Police dealt with a suspected Deer poaching incident.
    Men were arrested with blood stained clothing, a dog had blood on its jowls and after a search a dead Deer was found.
    Samples were taken from all three sources for DNA testing and I understand that when the Police tried to take the case further they were told that no funds were available for the testing.
    It must be frustrating for the Police when this is the outcome of a successful operation.

HWH.

new guy

Said chappy has written a piece at front of the Shooting Times. His brief seems to make a lot of sense and it miht allow him to make a difference if he can get through all the work!!

this is the said article from the shooting times 21/10/09 if you want to read it press Ctrl and either + or - and it will zoom in

Not sure what to make of the whole 'anti-poaching officer' line.

Donít get me wrong this could be a major step in what is obviously the right direction. But one man to cover the problem throughout the UK? (oh year along with the other officers spread across the UK dealing with Wildlife crime in general (anyone ever met one of these?)

- - Just can imagine his first day - arrives in new (old dusty unused office) - sits down -opens blinds, and then a knock at the door - 'sir we have a few files/cases for you to review' then for the next hour people unload stacks of cases on the floor all around him.

I think the guys will be swamped with information, half started cases, new cases which are just going to be passed over etc etc etc.

Part of me thinks that this is the police's answer to a huge out-cry from the shooting fraternity, but at the same time a PR exercise to hold back the wave of incidents being unanswered.

I've seen a few conclusions of recent cases brought before the courts and to be honest itís just not worth the time and effort to give people a couple of hundred quid fine and let them keep their weapons/SGC/FAC.

I also think - and talking to a few Deer Managers they agree that not all game dealers, butchers and other channels of suppliers to the food industry are playing by the book. I think that there should be severe fines for suppliers not complying with policies and procedures and premises (food retailers- hotels/restaurants etc) should be closed down or loose licences. If you can't stop them poaching - you can do your up-most to stop people from selling illegal meat into food industry without the correct training and credentials to do so.

Its a two prong'd operation if you ask me - if you cut the demand the supply will stop.

JMHO

Tom

T