Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Yorkshire Police Firearms Licensing Department

South Yorkshire Police Firearms Licensing Department

Recently, a member of South Yorkshire Police Firearms Licensing Staff was dismissed for matters relating to the accuracy of firearm and shotgun records. Because of this the Firearms department have contacted their certificate holders to ask them to check their guns to try to ensure the police records are correct.

As a result of this, Chief Superintendent Odell and Inspector Gregory sought a meeting with the BASC firearms team, which was very open, wide-ranging, helpful and honest.
    As a result, BASC now recommends the following

If you receive a letter from South Yorkshire police asking you to check your guns, complete the paperwork by supplying all the details of your guns. It would be best to check your firearms serial numbers from the guns themselves to ensure no errors have occurred at purchase etc. You can report any discrepancy without fear.

Fill in the questionnaire attached should you wish to do so, as this is a genuine wish on behalf of South Yorkshire police to engage with customers separately to the records issue. Your comments will lead to improved service.

Please note: South Yorkshire police will ask to visit certificate holders where they receive no reply. BASC advises you co-operate as far as possible in order to help South Yorkshire police to ensure their records are correct, which will ultimately help your sport.

South Yorkshire police have told us that they are committed to ensuring that this issue is dealt with swiftly and with minimal disruption to the certificate holders, their customers.

shame there was no discussion on the AOLQ issue. They are requiring a written letter from the land owner to state that you can shoot any other quarry. Thought this idea was to make things easier for all involved, not giving themselves more to do ?

I do wish they wouldn't use the word 'customers' when referring to lawful firearms owners who have no 'customer choice' with respect to firearms licensing, and to whom the police are by statute obliged to provide this service: nothing could be further from the ususal service- or retail-sector use of the word 'customer', and this use seems to me to trivialise and debase the reationship between the FLD and the public they serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I do wish they wouldn't use the word 'customers' when referring to lawful firearms owners who have no 'customer choice' with respect to firearms licensing, and to whom the police are by statute obliged to provide this service: nothing could be further from the ususal service- or retail-sector use of the word 'customer', and this use seems to me to trivialise and debase the reationship between the FLD and the public they serve.
    If you don't want to be a customer nor treated like one then there is little hope of getting a polite and timely service. Things will merely go downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    shame there was no discussion on the AOLQ issue. They are requiring a written letter from the land owner to state that you can shoot any other quarry. Thought this idea was to make things easier for all involved, not giving themselves more to do ?
    This is not happeneing in South Yorkshire, we raised it with the senior staff. West Yorks are exhibiting such behaviour.

That's what I was told in a phone call with them this week

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    That's what I was told in a phone call with them this week
    I cant account for your conversation, but we have been given assurance that each case wil be dealt with on its merits and AOLQ will be granted upon initial good reason being demonstrated for a primary activity.

The condition will only allow other quarry to be shot if a person giving permission allows it. So if you nly have permission to shoot deer with a .243 then you cannot utilise the any other lawful quarry aspect until you are permitted to.
    You may wish to ask them to put this in writing or ask to Speak to Mr Gregory for his help, he is the current manager whist Tim Wright is away on sick leave.

Being a lazy git and one of the first to receive one of these requests I just copied details from my FAC & SGC. At the time S/Y firearms did not state the true reason for these requests I suppose now I ought to check serial numbers against my certs to make sure I've given them correct info being as they couldn't be honest and up front with their original request.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Being a lazy git and one of the first to receive one of these requests I just copied details from my FAC & SGC. At the time S/Y firearms did not state the true reason for these requests I suppose now I ought to check serial numbers against my certs to make sure I've given them correct info being as they couldn't be honest and up front with their original request.
    You are spot on Snowy, thats what we raised at the outset which led to our meeting, there was a reason they were cagey about the real story and its all water under the bridge, but dont worry, they have systems in place to ensure nothing is missed. However they may contact you if they need to take a peek or confirm something.

Quote Originally Posted by BASC Firearms Dept View Post
    You are spot on Snowy, thats what we raised at the outset which led to our meeting, there was a reason they were cagey about the real story and its all water under the bridge, but dont worry, they have systems in place to ensure nothing is missed. However they may contact you if they need to take a peek or confirm something.
    Thanks for that I'll revert to type then and chill out and if they want to follow up they know where I'm at they've been before once or twice at least .
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg