Permishions at renewal

CWMMAN3738

Dose every force still request new permission slips for all your stalking & shooting ground for your FAC&SGC renewals, I have an open ticket & have had for years?

Last edited:
as far as know yes, your land permision is your jusification for owning the rifle, unless your at a range or club, and i think if you paid stalking booking think that counts to. you dont need land justifcation for a shotgun cert.
I normally use the same people who grant me my 'land permissions' to be my referees to, and counter sign my shotgun cert as wel.
hope this helps
si

Whats a permission slip ? Ive never had one in nearly 20 years of FAC ownership , before I had an open ticket I just named a farm where I had permission to shoot deer and my target club.

whats to say it didn't expire the day after you got your FAC!?
open ticket
​just name the place

I have another 3 years on my lease which they already have a copy of.
Johnno100 ok it's a land usage form for ground over which I have permission to shoot.
I just wondered as I can't remember doing it before least not for all of them.
I would say yes, whats to say permission has not 'expired' ?

I have another 3 years on my lease which they already have a copy of.
Johnno100 ok it's a land usage form for ground over which I have permission to shoot.
I just wondered as I can't remember doing it before least not for all of them.

I don't do it for all just the main ones (largest) that way they have everything to hand and can't ' delay' anything as the can't find slips already rec'd. everyone has there own ideas about how to do it. I have always thought easier to provide the information instead of being asked for it - and I also have had a open ticket.

regards

David

you only need to put in one slip assuming its cleared for the calibers you have. I'd never needed to till my last renewal when they insisted on it, before that they just used to phone the landowner and that was it job done

I have had open ticket for years & renewals not till October but thinking I'll get it in now as they advised me it could take a long time as there's a backlog again will just do the main ones then & see if that satisfies.

I don't do it for all just the main ones (largest) that way they have everything to hand and can't ' delay' anything as the can't find slips already rec'd. everyone has there own ideas about how to do it. I have always thought easier to provide the information instead of being asked for it - and I also have had a open ticket.

regards

David

Same here
you only need to put in one slip assuming its cleared for the calibers you have. I'd never needed to till my last renewal when they insisted on it, before that they just used to phone the landowner and that was it job done

Can BASC get involved here?.....I understand from reading there guidance that permissions arent necessary on renewal....I may be wrong.....

​The Firearms Act requires that applicants for both the grant and renewal of a certificate provide "good reason" to possess. This means that they must demonstrate that they have somewhere to use it.

Form 101 asks this very question and one must fill the relevant box in providing details of where the firearm/s are to be used.

I note that on my last couple of renewals, Devon & Cornwall have included in their renewal pack an additional form, designed by themselves, to be completed and signed by the landowner confirming their authority for the applicant to shoot on their land. Whilst there is no requirement in law to complete this form or for that matter send in "permission slips", I see nothing wrong in doing so if it helps speed up the renewal process.

It must be pointed out that it is only necessary to provide details of one piece of land suitable for the caliber/s.

CharlieT is correct, you the applicant have to show "good reason" to possess each and every firearm at renewal.

If you have open conditions you should not lose them

All you have to do is show that you own land, have permission or show a booking or letter of invitation that is tangable i.e. new, genuine and substantial.

The police cannot refuse you if your permission is valid but they do get confused and focus on landowners but landowners may not own the sporting rights.

For example if Lord Smithers-Smyth may own half of Devon but if he has sold or leased the shooting rights to another, it is entirely possible that he may not have retained any rights for himself until the conlsuion of the short term lease or not at all if the rights have permanantley been sold on to another.

Hope this helps

Yes thanks so copy of my lease for one will suffice, thanks that makes life a lot easier.
CharlieT is correct, you the applicant have to show "good reason" to possess each and every firearm at renewal.

If you have open conditions you should not lose them

All you have to do is show that you own land, have permission or show a booking or letter of invitation that is tangable i.e. new, genuine and substantial.

The police cannot refuse you if your permission is valid but they do get confused and focus on landowners but landowners may not own the sporting rights.

For example if Lord Smithers-Smyth may own half of Devon but if he has sold or leased the shooting rights to another, it is entirely possible that he may not have retained any rights for himself until the conlsuion of the short term lease or not at all if the rights have permanantley been sold on to another.

Hope this helps

Back