Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RSPB & Hen Harriers.

RSPB & Hen Harriers.

Another nice press release from the RSPB:

BBC News - Hen harriers in England as nests fail
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 09-08-2013 at 06:23.

The link isn't opening correctly for me! Cheers, K

What a load of b@!! 5?!t

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Another nice press release from the RSPB:

BBC News - Hen harriers in England as nests fail
    The glorious 12th nearly here and every year the ( rspb and anti's ) bring out crap stories like this to get more money in there coffers.
    I think a lot of people are getting used to it now though and don't take a lot of notice, but I hope one of our organisations makes a good reply ( and gets it printed)

Haven't the RSPB got a reserve of their own somewhere that supports Hen Harriers? atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    What a load of b@!! 5?!t
    I agree. That article is absolute tosh.

There are Hen Harriers near me who bred successfully in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and I have taken two local birdists so see them - one (well into his 70's) had never seen one in his life.

Also, their existence was reported (not by me) to the RSPB and (if I remember correctly) a guy came and saw them.

Are the RSPB on a fund raising programme?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

time for a mass complaint again lets use the system against them were the ones getting persecuted

The RSPB seem confused -

From their website

Due mainly to illegal killing, the hen harrier is Britain's most endangered bird of prey, with only 10 pairs breeding successfully in England in 2008.

Unquote

​Get it f******* right?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Found this interesting.

Fortunately we have a good example of the consequences of RSPB management at their reserve at Carn Gafalit in Mid Wales following their acquisition of the SSSI product of generations of good grazing management.

1. 13 graziers were told to stop traditional patchwork burning of the heather, leading to loss of control of the ideal habitat.
    2. Loss of ideal habitat has curtailed traditional grazing management of cattle and sheep, with the loss of 10 graziers through lack of incentive. The subsequent loss of dung and urine has reduced the insect population and soil quality.
    3. The resulting under-grazing and lack of scrub control has led to one large accidental fire, probably started by walkers. Heather has taken 6 to 7 years to partially recover from attempts at control by flailing, being smothered by pulp. Where burnt, regeneration took place in 3 years.
    4. Out of control bracken and 4 feet high heather, causes the remaining 3 graziers lose their sheep and even their cattle, complicating management and veterinary treatments.
    5. Ticks and heather beetle now present serious uncontrolled problems.
    6. There is little effective vermin control, a five fold increase in the local badger population, and so much general predation that prey species numbers have collapsed.
    7. 30 to 40 grouse would have been seen regularly, now there appear to be none.
    8. Hen Harriers were released into this area and have failed to survive the low food supplies, excessive predation and management neglect.
    9. There has been no attempt to discuss management with the graziers despite requests.

Everybody loses and this pattern of neglect is typical of all RSPB reserves