Where have all my deer gone?

Stringer

I had a very promising spring and early summer where I was seeing plenty of bucks and does (roe) on my patch. However this soon dwindled to seeing only does and kids (which I would expect pre rut). I was having multiple sightings every visit. Now I am struggling to see any.

I have had many visits where I have seen nothing and can’t remember the last time I had one in the cross hairs.

The land is 2000 acres of which is predominantly (probably 60%) commercial forestry. There are several open areas, and wide rides (mainly heather but some boggy rashy, grassy areas).

There are 2 locked gates a mile apart to gain access to the ground so I don’t think poaching is a significant factor (not ruling it out though). There is a foot path through the middle which although not particularly popular while I’ve been there, (rare to meet anyone) I assume has fairly regular traffic.

Does any one else find this on their ground? Is it just a seasonal issue i.e. are they finding enough to eat without having to leave cover? While they soon be forced out again?

Is it possible the deer are becoming nocturnal due to disturbance?

Any other suggestions as to where my deer have gone?

As autumn is comming pretty fast I would guess your deer moved away from a forestry to more atractive feeding place such as an oil seed rape field etc. I saw roe already started to group. I saw a group of 8 animals together feeding on an unploughed stubble.

Just a thought.

Greg

Stringer, A similar situation on my patch (Oxfordshire) and about the same acreage as yours. I had two bucks early this season but nothing since and didn't see a single buck in july/august, although they must have been around. My land owner looks round regularly and agrees that they have gone from the ground.

glogin said:
As autumn is comming pretty fast I would guess your deer moved away from a forestry to more atractive feeding place such as an oil seed rape field etc. I saw roe already started to group. I saw a group of 8 animals together feeding on an unploughed stubble.

Just a thought.

Greg

Thanks Greg, there is not much in the way of better feeding in the immediate area. Unless they have really gone :confused: :lol:

techman said:
Stringer, A similar situation on my patch (Oxfordshire) and about the same acreage as yours. I had two bucks early this season but nothing since and didn't see a single buck in july/august, although they must have been around. My land owner looks round regularly and agrees that they have gone from the ground.

Damn frustrating isnt it techman. A few weeks ago I was looking forward to the does as that was all I was seeing, but was out last night for a last bash for a buck and it was as if the place had never seen a deer. Not nearly as many slots or droppings as there were a month or two ago.

cheers

Stephen

Have been having the same problem on my lease ( 1500 acres of FC woodland)
Have been talking with some of the FC rangers.
They are saying that there might be enough feeding in the woodland so the deer do not need to come out into the open to often to feed.
During the rut you could see 3 or 4 bucks within 1/2 mile pluse does now they are sticking to the woodland.
I now that the deer are thare thay are just not coming out into the open.
Will weight & see if things improve in Nov.

Cheers
John

deer

I think this is always a tricky time of year for forestry roe. There is still feed in cover and they can stay out of the way. There is also plenty of cover to conceal them and the ground can be pretty hard for slots etc.

The does are in pretty good nick and do not need to feed hard. Once you get to January and the embryos are growing and the feed harder to come by they will have to feed harder and longer and I would bet you will start seeing them again.

Round us they are starting to show up on late stubbles etc in places they wouldnt normally be.

Thanks for the replies guys, good to hear I'm not the only one. Roll on the winter to force the little b u ggers out of their hiding places then :lol:

same hear in ireland ,every one i chat to is saying the same .the very warm still weather is hard to stalk on the hill.

the deer are there just not showing . also the down turn has started a poaching boom.

Back