Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealers registers must be computerised by 31st December 2014

Dealers registers must be computerised by 31st December 2014

'Keep computerised files for 20 years' - I aint gonna live that long!.

Hopefully we are getting one step closer to your FAC being on a credit card and you just swipe it at your dealer when you make a purchase, that would be a real advance!

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Hopefully we are getting one step closer to your FAC being on a credit card and you just swipe it at your dealer when you make a purchase, that would be a real advance!
    And when the authorities are confident that the new computerised system works perhaps they will think again about whether restrictions on quantities of ammunition possessed and applying "good reason" to each individual rifle rather than to the shooter continues to serve any useful purpose.

When these restrictions were introduced nearly 100 years ago it was to prevent individuals accumulating an arsenal of weaponry with which to overthrow George V, the world has moved on since then and surely they have no particular relevance to modern shooting sports. atb Tim

Talk about a 'last minute' volte face:

19th December 2014. No. 41
    The Home Office has revisited its position on the implementation of article 4(4) of the EU Weapons Directive 2008/51 (amending Council Directive 91/477).

“We, the Home Office, appreciate that it is not ideal to be changing our approach at this late stage. However, we have reconsidered the scope of the requirements and have decided that rather than mandating firearms dealers to computerise their records we will rely on the National Firearms Licensing Management System (NFLMS), with both police and firearms dealers continuing to record information at current levels. Records will still need to be recorded and maintained for 20 years. This means that firearms dealers can continue to keep paper-based records although we would continue to recommend computerised records as a matter of best practice.”
    Historic Guns & Militaria - based in South Bedfordshire - Historic Guns Militaria

I wonder how many firearms dealers had already purchased the expensive software?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    If I were a firearms dealer i would be taking action against the government for compensation.
    Seriously, if they were supposed to have it in place for the New Year then most will have already installed it as they are not going to get anything done between Xmas and New Year and there are only 3x working days to Xmas.
    It is time they handed this debacle of licensing to a private company.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I know of one dealer who decided to close shop earlier in the year as a direct result of the forthcoming computerisation. He had no knowledge of computers and thought it all a bit too much to be converting over.

i have not read the info in the link yet but so far i can't find anyone to tell me what a this actually means in practice , i have been told an excel spreadsheet will be sufficient but no one will confirm in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    It is time they handed this debacle of licensing to a private company.
    What - you mean like G4S? I'm all for more efficient and effective licensing, but spare me the money-grubbing incompetents who let people die in their custody and can't recruit adequate numbers of security staff despite having God knows how long to do the job.... Or SERCO? No, wait - didn't they rob the taxpayer by claiming to be tagging more crims than they actually did? Or maybe Capita - but didn't they oversee the defrauding of the public purse to the tune of £60 million - at which point they stopped counting.... ?

I suspect this volte face is more to do with a number of recent successful legal challenges to the Government's 'Digital by Default' doctrine. HMRC got knocked back on that one and DEFRA are being bombarded with complaints from farmers who simply don't have the technology (or skills?) to do everything online.