Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauer 202 6.5x55 Headspace Dimension

Sauer 202 6.5x55 Headspace Dimension

Does anyone know their fired case headspace measurement with this cartridge in their Sauer 202 rifle please? If so, would you kindly tell me what you measure at.

I had good results with h/space sizing at 1.776" using a Nosler 120gn bullet.
    At 1.776" locking the bolt on chambering the round was a bit tight...not much, but a bit.
    But then measured the fired cases headspace at 1.772"

Sizing with headspace at 1.771" the cartridge chambers sweetly, but the group size opened up quite a lot - from 1/4" MOA to 1" MOA. @ 100yds
    So, I'm looking for clues.
    ​Cheers, ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 10-08-2013 at 05:05. Reason: Clarification
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I have the exact same rifle. Are you trying to set the coal for your rounds? Is that what you mean by headspace? I use a Hornady OAL gauge to establish coal for each bullet type.

Quote Originally Posted by cambsman View Post
    I have the exact same rifle. Are you trying to set the coal for your rounds? Is that what you mean by headspace? I use a Hornady OAL gauge to establish coal for each bullet type.
    Im pretty sure he means from case head to somewhere on the shoulder as the measurements he is quoting are shorter than the 55mm case length. Trouble is determining where on the shoulder your headspace measuring device is contacting the shoulder. This may differ between measuring devices not to mention between rifles where chamber dimensions may vary slightly from rifle to rifle
    Last edited by srvet; 11-08-2013 at 00:03. Reason: Correcting autocorrect

srvet is right...it's not the OAL of the round I'm after.

It is the headspace measured of a 'fired' cartridge case in a 6.5x55 Sauer 202. Measurement should be done with the correct headspace guage and will be from approx. mid-way on the case shoulder to the case 'head'.

I'm interested in seeing the comparison between mine & another similar rifles chamber. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I might be missing something here but is it not strange that your cartridge came out shorter after being fired? They usually get longer hence the need to re-size. I to run Sauer 202's one in 6.5swed one in .308w. I have no head space gauge but will see what length my fired cases are coming out at. I've never played with head space too much I just make them load clean and then set col so bullet is at 20thou off lands and that's it. Would be good to improve my load though.

I would personally try not to set the shoulder back when resizing. If chambering the case requires a little effort then I may consider setting the shoulder back 1 thou or so but only until the bolt will close as you wish. Otherwise you will lose the benefit of fire forming the brass. I tend to neck size for most of my rifles and generally don't size the full length of the neck at that. To my mind this should minimise working of the brass and improve the alignment of the bullet with the rifling

The quoted 'given' headspace dimension in the Lee manual for 6.5x55 SM is 1.779".

Sized at 1.775" the cartridge just chambers & the bolt felt somewhat 'tight' locking down. Not rediculously tight, just tight.
    When I measured the cases after 'springback' when fired the dimension is 1.772", so F/L re-sizing to 1.771" only works the shoulder/neck slightly and the cartridge chambers as sweetly as you like.

However, when reloaded with the same recipe, the groups opened up significantly. I'd just like a comparison measurement with a similar rifle of the same cartridge/cal. If anyone out there can help with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nosler 120gn 49.2gns Vit.N160 3.051 OAL Hspce 1.775ins.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	31254 The groups have expanded from this to 1 MOA with just this dimensional change & I wonder why so dramatic a change. Things that make you go Hmmmmm! Cheers.

Headspace - distance bettween bolt face and a datum line on the shoulder of the chamber

OAL - distance bettween rear of case (boltface) to Lands where bullet touches on ogive (point where it is touching the lands)

You cannot measure headspace using a fired case,,,it needs to be measured using a correct Headspace Gauge and shims.

OAL - easily measured using a comparator and dial gauge.

​Which one you mean??

Not OAL...don't require that measurement RM
    Just the measurement using a headspace guage on the case fired cartridge case.
    That's exactly how I would measure the case to F/L re-size the case....datum on case shoulder to base of case head.
    Measuring the headspace in the rifle.......bolt face to internal datum on the shoulder is indeed a different & correct actual headspace measurement.

I don't know of a convenient to me gunsmith that might be able to take an exact measurement of the internal headspace.
    ​Cheers, ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 11-08-2013 at 07:38.

Oops my mistake. Sorry! Can't help with headspace I'm afraid.