Available: Jelen deer services - lantra approved advanced deer management training

Jelendeer

​Hi everyone,

So, our second ADM course of the year has just been completed at the prestigious Holkham Estate, Norfolk, and topped with a brilliant visit to Houghton Estate.

We have so far received some glowing reports from those who have attended, and also some useful feedback on what we need to improve for the next course to be held next weekend in Newton Stewart, SW Scotland.

No doubt many of you read posts on this and other forums where Jelen receive flack for the most ridiculous reasons, mainly by only a handful of anonymous posters hell-bent on discrediting the company at every opportunity. Surprisingly, much of the unwarranted criticism comes from those who have never dealt with us as a company, who know precious little about the content of our training courses, or the method of teaching we use to distribute the knowledge that we have amassed in over 3 decades as professionals.

The naysayers, sabre-rattlers, axe-grinders and band-wagoners appear to have achieved nothing in their rantings, other than to provide our company with unprecedented exposure - which is always welcome.

In contrast, Jelen has never faltered in its commitment and determination to encourage newcomers into deer stalking/management through a range of professionally based training programs, and provision of valuable field experiences. We continue to help raise the standards of wild, park and farmed deer management through our high standard of professional training - unequalled anywhere in the UK.

The new LANTRA APPROVED Advanced Deer Management Course by JELEN, provides the country's most stable learning platform from where established stalkers, newcomers to deer and wildlife management, and those with an interest in the management of deer and wildlife can obtain vital, current and useful information. And for your peace of mind, its backed up with our 100% money back guarantee.

Our commitment to helping newcomers, novices and more experienced stalkers reach their goal - whether it is simply to gain stalking, or to become professionals in their own right - is absolute. Jelen's reputation for delivery of professionally based, no-nonsense training opportunities has helped us reach a level of professionalism that many others can only aspire to.

To find out more about this important training opportunity, EMAIL US on office@jelendeer.com or visit our webpage dedicated to the ADVANCED DEER MANAGEMENT COURSE, or call us on 01264 811155 where we'd be only too pleased to discuss your training needs with you.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
​(Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services)

Jesus Christ Mike,

Give it a rest old pal...

First an attack on those with an opinion not shared by yourself , then the biggest self indulgent blow job ive ever seen on here.

Any professional course does not rely on feedback to improve every new intake or else the previous intake has been the recipient of an inferior course ...

Personally ive no axe to grind Mike but reading the above it dont sit well with me so i share my opinion as youve shared yours..

Atb

Terry

I see that the original post resides in the sub-forum "Training Courses and Materials", so is correctly placed. I suppose if you don't want to read testimonials of any kind about training courses and materials then you can avoid this sub-forum. Sadly you cannot avoid sniping at such posts, which is getting quite tedious, and very predictable.

To be fair, why would he not sing the praises of his course? Why not have a go at people that are only motivated by putting others down? Who would be able to avoid doing so? Well, I was at the Holkham estate 3 day course. I enjoyed it completely. It was very well assessed with short answer papers regularly each day lading to the final exam on the last day. It was well presented. It was very much open to discussion and everyone with an opinion or thought ( some more than others) was welcome to interrupt and share. The course content was very detailed and the handouts given are very good. I very much believe that even the strongest critics would find it a very worthwhile course to attend. Maybe Jelen should invite some of its more determined critics to attend the course free of charge and see what they think! I'm sure everyone will learn something and it will be worthwhile. It seems when it comes to deer that everyone thinks that they know everything and everyone else is inferior. I have not come across the same in any other area! I am always open minded as hopefully most people are on here. But, if you simply base your opinions on thin air, then they are basically worth about the same. I enjoyed the course and learned a lot. As did the other people on the course I spoke with, many of whom have a lot more experience than I. Biiiyatchesssssssssss. xx.. it is what it is... go on the course an then pass comment..otherwise your comments are not worth a lot!

Hmmm............ lets not start arguments please.

There are quite a few people on here who have been stalking and managing deer for many more years, and it is up to the individual which coarse they choose and who with.

However I would ask that Jelen tone it down a bit as some of the statements are a bit strong in relation to other professional stalkers
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Point of information:

Lantra do not approve courses.

Neither do Lantra Awards.

I could run a course on "picking my nose and scratching my arse simultaneously" and Lantra Awards would register it, as long as I paid their fee.

Their requirements to approve providers (not the content of the provider's courses) are stated here:

http://www.lantra-awards.co.uk/How-Do-I/How-Do-I-Become-Section/How-Do-I/Become-Provider/What-is-Involved.aspx

... Perhaps you should find out what a provider has to do to get a course approved by Lantra Awards!

Lantra Awards | Training Courses | Customised Provision | Bespoke | Qualifications

We did!

Regards,

Mike

Last edited:
One of the reasons I gave up commercial stalking was all the back stabbing half wits that seem to infect the sport.
The trouble is that if you throw enough mud then some of it will stick.
I think your right to fight back Mike, unfortunately I just wanted a quieter life without the worry of what I was going to be accused of next

teyhan1 you are bang on and many times i have thought about walking away from the political side of deer stalking.To many liars cheats and back stabbers in it to create an extention to there pension at any cost.But we need people like Mike Jellen ,Andrew Treadaway, Paul Adkins ,Robert Sharp, and many others who will stand up and make sure these large organisation dont get a free and easy ride to our hard earned cash. Because without them we will be swallowed up by the big boy,s club and they will set the standard according to their own agenda (CASH NORMALLY). We need options choices and transparency. while i do not have the full details of the Jellen Course it sounds like it is a similar course to BDS, ETC. ( With Extras thrown in ).
If you want to do an Advanced course you now have a choice the benefits have been shown already.

It isn't just deer management. Service providers in many other sectors have the same challenge. The harsh reality of business is that it is about turn over. Even charities have to otherwise they flounder.

Wills i agree totally but this is a deer stalking site and thats what we talk about here. This site has created a area where people can make sure they have all the facts and decide what they believe to be the correct choice in deer management. Before all we had was legislation thrust upon us without a challenge.
The cost of becoming a deerstalker from the very start is extremely high and will be higher when it is compulsory to have qualifications. (We are nearly there). Mike has made the BDS rethink its pricing structure. Andrew Treadaway has given people a cheaper option to use an assessor. Paul Adkins and Andrew Treadaway have created courses that has all but put an end to the over priced BASC /BDS lev one courses in scotland. Why? Because they have driven down the price with choice.

I'm not sure I see your point, are you putting forward that you are not keen on advertising of courses? My previous point was and observational one on commerce. I'm for competition and a diversity of product.

Wills i agree totally but this is a deer stalking site and thats what we talk about here. This site has created a area where people can make sure they have all the facts and decide what they believe to be the correct choice in deer management. Before all we had was legislation thrust upon us without a challenge.
The cost of becoming a deerstalker from the very start is extremely high and will be higher when it is compulsory to have qualifications. (We are nearly there). Mike has made the BDS rethink its pricing structure. Andrew Treadaway has given people a cheaper option to use an assessor. Paul Adkins and Andrew Treadaway have created courses that has all but put an end to the over priced BASC /BDS lev one courses in scotland. Why? Because they have driven down the price with choice.

Has Mike made the BDS rethink its pricing or in the economic climate has the BDS had to follow suit to remain competitive?

Imo i can't see that shaving courses to the bone at ever cheaper prices does anyone any favours as the next kid on the block will be offering level 1 courses for a £100 in one day... The same fella will have a hand full of toadies having passed the course saying how fab it is with them not knowing any better...

Has Mike made the BDS rethink its pricing or in the economic climate has the BDS had to follow suit to remain competitive?

Imo i can't see that shaving courses to the bone at ever cheaper prices does anyone any favours as the next kid on the block will be offering level 1 courses for a £100 in one day... The same fella will have a hand full of toadies having passed the course saying how fab it is with them not knowing any better...

Could not agree more.

Being new to stalking and having recently done my DSC1 I am amazed that in theory I may never have shot a deer, seen a real deer, gralloched, inspected or butchered a deer and yet I am now qualified to put deer into the food chain for other people to eat!

Shame realy. I would have been happy to pay more to receive more. Maybe see a Gralloch being done by someone ect ect.

Could not agree more.

Being new to stalking and having recently done my DSC1 I am amazed that in theory I may never have shot a deer, seen a real deer, gralloched, inspected or butchered a deer and yet I am now qualified to put deer into the food chain for other people to eat!

Shame realy. I would have been happy to pay more to receive more. Maybe see a Gralloch being done by someone ect ect.

Its nice to see someone who is happy to say that DSC1 just isn't enough.
For a long time now I have said that DSC1 should be the precursor to getting a rifle and that until you have DSC2 you should be accompanied, therefore by the time you hit the ground on your own you will be fully competant.

until you have DSC2 you should be accompanied, therefore by the time you hit the ground on your own you will be fully competant.

Mmm fully competant in what rifle handling, carcass handling or the whole job. In which case then all the vermin shooters best start doing their FSC Level 1 & 2 (Fox Shooting Cert), RSC Level 1 & 2 (Rabbit Shooting Cert) and while we are at it lets make Air guns licensed with a training course.

Having bits of paper to say you have been on courses X, Y & Z does not make you competant, shooting for 20+ years does not automatically make you competant, complacent yes competant not always. I agree that yes there does need to be some provisions of training as Deer Stalking is a task that is meant to be carried out with a sense of professionalism and pride but there has to be a point were it goes too far.

When you are taught to drive you are taught to pass a test. Then after that you learn how to drive. Most will drive sensibly and with care and consideration, but there will always be some W%*~#ers on the road.

Its nice to see someone who is happy to say that DSC1 just isn't enough.
For a long time now I have said that DSC1 should be the precursor to getting a rifle and that until you have DSC2 you should be accompanied, therefore by the time you hit the ground on your own you will be fully competant.

Taking Level 1 and 2 does not make you necessarily competent. There are some who believe that taking these tests, some over a couple of years, makes one a fully competent stalker.

Experience over many years makes you a competent stalker/deer manager in my opinion. How many stalkers ever get to experience at length managing all the species, including Red Deer in the highlands. You cannot equate culling a Red Stag off a Scottish mountain side with culling a Muntjac in a wood in Bedfordshire. No competence comes through long term experience in all weathers, at all times of the year and with all species.

Every day is different and even experienced stalkers will tell you that you never stop learning. I agree that there should be a bench mark qualification for stalkers, which Level 1 and 2 is excepted as being that, however further training is through experience and that comes with time.

Mmm fully competant in what rifle handling, carcass handling or the whole job. In which case then all the vermin shooters best start doing their FSC Level 1 & 2 (Fox Shooting Cert), RSC Level 1 & 2 (Rabbit Shooting Cert) and while we are at it lets make Air guns licensed with a training course.

Having bits of paper to say you have been on courses X, Y & Z does not make you competant, shooting for 20+ years does not automatically make you competant, complacent yes competant not always. I agree that yes there does need to be some provisions of training as Deer Stalking is a task that is meant to be carried out with a sense of professionalism and pride but there has to be a point were it goes too far.

When you are taught to drive you are taught to pass a test. Then after that you learn how to drive. Most will drive sensibly and with care and consideration, but there will always be some W%*~#ers on the road.

+1

Doing level 1 & 2 will put you on the correct road to becoming competent combined with years of experience. Shooting for 20+ years doing things wrong and dismissing every course aimed at helping stalkers won't make you competent.

This is whats wrong with bloody forums. I sit back and watch people bitch and take folk apart. Come on guys Jelen are just providing a service for us. I have found Mike and the team at Jelen great to deal with and very professional. Level 1 and 2 are the gateway to deer stalking for the future. I have them and its a qualification that allows you certain privileges i.e access to ground etc. I just wonder why people get caught up in all this politics. If one guy offers it cheaper than the other then its up to them. At the end of the day the exam process should be the same. Open learning and completion of outcomes and modules can be done before you go on the course as well, this can cut down on time in the classroom and make it cheaper. I sat my level 1 with BDS in Bonnybridge and Iam sure it was £400 for four days. If you learn your stuff its possible in 2 so they extra couple of days in the class cost me £200. We are all in this together folks and some guys are out there trying their best to provide us with courses, that will stand us in good favor for the future. Oh and for the record and this is just my opinion. level 1 should have a gralloch, even if its just to observe, included in the course. Cheers Hootsman

Back