Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitudes to non-indigenous deer species

Attitudes to non-indigenous deer species

Hi folks,
    I recently read an article about the deliberate (and illegal) introduction of Axis deer to the big island of Hawaii, and the efforts to eradicate them.
    Four years ago several deer were flown by helicopter across from a nearby island and were released by a group of men hoping to create a population of deer that they could then hunt. The Big Island Invasive Species Committee (BIISC) has hired professional hunters in order to cull all of the released deer as soon as possible and there is a court order which means that the helicopter pilot that helped to fly the deer onto the island is now being made to fly about looking for the released deer for free! anyway I couldn't help but make a comparison with the UK where the spread of non-indigenous deer species seems to be largely ignored and I'm not aware of any coordinated effort to halt or hamper the invasion of invasive deer species.
    What do you think about the spread of non-indigenous deer species where you live/hunt? I'd be interested to hear opinions of members from abroad as well as from Britain
    Cheers

Vermin

Take my hat off to Hawaii, that's the way to do it esp if u can catch them very early and wipe them out afore they get established

The problem is in the uk most off the species are so wide spread there is absolutely nothing u can do about it. Plus to many bunny huggers would object to any animal genocide, esp if the animal is cute and cuddly (and to be fair many stalkers fall into the same category if it offers sport or nice to eat).

In some other countries they have wide spread government backed posioning campign's, some air dropped to kill non natives/ or in some cases all animals in a bid to try and keep them in control

Yes ,great sport ,great to eat ,and give revenue to some from stalkers at home and abroad personally glad we have the non indigenous deer .
    ​norma

I agree with the above , however if I looked after a island full of pure bred Red deer I might have another view.

Bloody Japs-just like in Hawaii
    Spot on Countrryboy
    Last edited by Wolverine; 10-08-2013 at 21:00.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I like having the chance to stalk Munties, CWD and Sika in England but I wouldn't want them in Cornwall. If yet another alien species were to begin to get established in the UK would we welcome it or act like the Hawaiians I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I like having the chance to stalk Munties, CWD and Sika in England but I wouldn't want them in Cornwall. If yet another alien species were to begin to get established in the UK would we welcome it or act like the Hawaiians I wonder?
    I too think we are lucky to have invasive deer species, agreeably in certain circumstances they are not welcome in their newly found home.

Don't also forget to mention fallow too, they are not truly indigenous. Roe and red strictly speaking are the only deer species native to the UK.

Always the problem with deciding what is indigenous is the definition to use. Go back far enough in the mists of time and you'll find any species wasn't native to a particular area. Do we count what the Romans introduced indigenous? The Normans? What about species that have died out? Surely they aren't indigenous any more, the likes of beaver and wolves, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    I agree with the above , however if I looked after a island full of pure bred Red deer I might have another view.
    +1
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Well, down here in what is touted to the rest of the world as "100% Clean green NZ", deer have noxious pest status, along with Possums, Rats, Stoats, and anything else that potentially threatens the so called Native environs and its bird life. To try and control these species, the NZ govt uses 1080 poison, often applied by helicopter. Unfortunately, even after 50 years or so of trying this method, NZ still has aprox the same number of Possums that we had 50 years ago...IF you believe the politicians. Deer sucumb to 1080, and die a slow painfull death, but due to them haveing pest status, nothing can be done to stop it, despite huge campaigns against it.
    Culling introduced Deer by paid bushmen was undertaken in the early days, and I personally know old guys that shot in excess of 60 thousand animals in their careers. Despite all the above, deer numbers are still quite high throughout NZ, and provide meat and sport for many. If NZ didnt have introduced Deer, pigs, Chamois, Thar and Possums, there would be no hunting here. I for one, am gratefull for the failure of previous attempts to get rid of the deer especially.