Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullets can do weird things

Bullets can do weird things

Having just watched a video on here it could be seen that after the bullet passed through the deer some foliage collapsed to the rear at an angle that appeared to indicate the trajectory of the bullet went off at an angle, the shot appeared to be totally safe with a good back stop.
    It just got me thinking how often does this happen?, without an indicator to the rear maybe more than we think.

Where I zero my rifle I noticed a bullet head sticking out of a tree guard, well behind the target, it hadn't expanded at all but instead of burying itself in the soil had gone off at an angle and kind of skidded through the top of the grass/soil and reappeared, what made it do that is still a mystery to me.

So we all make sure we have a good back stop but there is always, as the NHS describe it, 'a never event' it should never happen but on a very rare occasion it can, worrying eh?

Cheers
    Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 11-08-2013 at 09:34.

This is very true, I have seen deer shot perfectly (heart shot) and have known bullets to travel up the spine or even exit out of the rear end.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

zeroed off a 8ft wall out to 50 yds and 100 yds on a slope
    targets were behind each other but one was approx 2-3ft higher than the other

I shot the 50yd one and keyholed the 100yd one 3ft higher!!
    behind the first target was the furrow you describe

​(my backstop was not the ground in this case but a 20ft hillside covered in trees

What munty1 has just said happened to me a perfect hart shot and the bullet hit the ribs on the other side of the deer and ran along its side exiting out the back leg

Shot a red stag on friday night past H/L shot, the stag ran approx 8oyds yds into some rushes and then went down. I had my son with me who watched the shot through binos he said he saw the swish/path of the bullet exiting at a right angle though some long grass so because contact deforms the bullet be it bone/tissue there's just no telling where it will go, all we can (must) do on our part is to ensure a safe backstop not just behind the target animal but the entire area behind and to either side.

These 2 videos certainly made me think.

[Edited: DavidM - great minds evidently do think alike!]

These videos are quite interesting:

and

(especially from 1':40" on)
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 11-08-2013 at 11:28.

Some years ago - using a .308 and 150gr round nose bullets - I shot a Roe buck in Scotland, perfectly broadside from about 40m. The bullet entered on the left side of the animal hitting one rib on the way in. On hitting the opposite side in exactly the right place, the bullet turned 90 degrees and cut off every rearward rib as if we'd used a bone saw to cut them off. The bullet then exited just grazing the outside of the right haunch.

I worked at Sennybridge military range many years ago, and as we were on our way out in the evening we could see in the distance live firing using tracer rounds. On hitting the targets, tracers were going everywhere including 90% upwards and occasionally straight back towards the firer!!! (However, they were FMJ so some ricochet could be expected)

Strange indeed! and it does illustrate the importance of good backstops!

Regs

​M.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelendeer View Post
    Some years ago - using a .308 and 150gr round nose bullets - I shot a Roe buck in Scotland, perfectly broadside from about 40m. The bullet entered on the left side of the animal hitting one rib on the way in. On hitting the opposite side in exactly the right place, the bullet turned 90 degrees and cut off every rearward rib as if we'd used a bone saw to cut them off. The bullet then exited just grazing the outside of the right haunch.

I worked at Sennybridge military range many years ago, and as we were on our way out in the evening we could see in the distance live firing using tracer rounds. On hitting the targets, tracers were going everywhere including 90% upwards and occasionally straight back towards the firer!!! (However, they were FMJ so some ricochet could be expected)

Strange indeed! and it does illustrate the importance of good backstops!

Regs

​M.
    Had a similar thing happen to me a few months ago with a buck,bullet entered perfect in the heart and did a complete u turn and exited 3 inch from entry. Also had a few weird ones,in threw the H-L and exited straight up threw the spine.

PH
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

Shot a bunny (head )& around ten yards away from the strike, another fell dead same as his buddy, also in head/neck by frags from a frangible round, Fireball .17
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!