Thread: 12th tomorrow

12th tomorrow

First day tomorrow on the flank at wemmergill ,grouse numbers this year are down so up to now it's looking like a short season,I'll post the numbers shot tmrw nite for all those interested
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    First day tomorrow on the flank at wemmergill ,grouse numbers this year are down so up to now it's looking like a short season,I'll post the numbers shot tmrw nite for all those interested
    Good few years since I was at Wemmergill, in fact not been since Joe Nickersons time, often go to Gunnerside but not this year.

Are numbers down in the whole of the north of England this year, going by the counts it looks as if we may have a better season than we have had for some time at least in certain areas, though there are reports of late broods , quite a few places holding back and not starting for a week or so.

I heard just today that the keeper where I stalk thought the grouse were late this year in hatching???

I used to load and pick up a lot at the grouse and really enjoyed it, more so than the pheasants or partridges. Dangerous thing to do though if the loaders and keepers aren't firm enough with the guns regarding taking dodgy shots in the heat if the moment...

Have a nice day Woody , judging by the grouse I have seen whilst driving over the moors seems to be loads this year. Let us know how you get on ...

Fond memories of picking up at the Grouse in the Lammermuirs, good luck for the season.

Heard various reports, 1 moor has biggest broods ever but less broods than last year and still a few cheapers,

I'm on the 15th for my first day (feels strange not being out on the 12th) the keeper there was saying plenty birds but a lot off small ones. Just a same it was such a slow spring or else things would have been really promising

Good luck to everyone and keep ur head down if picking up or when u get to the horn post's

Yes I would be interested to know how your day went. I am out loading tomorrow on a grouse moor in North Yorkshire.

Can't wait to hear how you do?!
    Just saw this on Twitter and got very excited about the prospect of the new season!

'Stranger at Euston Station luggage labelled for Portee, how I wish this August evening I were you and you were me' #Glorious12th

Have a great day!

The head keeper kept the day pretty well rained in,with only 4 drives I think the powers that be we're testing the water so to speak,still great to be out and 125 brace shot,doing a bloody emergency first aid course tmrw so will miss day but will be on holwick on Wednesday so we,ll see how it goes
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

'Stranger at Euston Station luggage labelled for Portee, how I wish this AuJgust evening I were you and you were me' #Glorious12th
    Aye the tweed express. It stopped at Callander where the toffs got blootered at the some 40+ licenced premises then wondered why accidents happened... Mostly the local lassies and barmaids that fell victim.