Thread: Have I ruined my brass

Have I ruined my brass

I dropped 60 used Federal brass cartridges into my sonic cleaner with Hornaday sonic cleaner solution and cycled it a couple of times (usually 4-5 times does a nice job) then got distracted. I came back a week later and the brass looks patchy and has lost it's shine in places. A couple more cycles and no change. It appeared dull and as if its lost some of its "yellowness" if that makes sense. Is this still usable or should I just bin it?
    Wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Give it a couple of hours in a vibratory or stainless steel media tumbler. If you have it 10 mins using Birchwood Casey brass cleaner or if not try a teaspoon of Citric Acid crystals in warm water.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

+1 quick bash in the corn media will have them back , i always plunge mine into hot distilled hot water after thay have been in the sonic cleaner and then blow them dry with my hobby air comp to stop the water marks then leave them a nail peg board i made ready for prep.

my espresso machine has a purpose built case dryer on the top of it.....from the factory! These Italians think of everything

Oven set to 100º done in 20 mins!

Thanks, for the suggestions, going to wiz it through some corn media in a mates tumbler, see how it comes out. I was just worried that a chemical reaction had taken place separating or dissolving one of the metals? Making the cases weak & unsafe.
    Wingy

if it were zink rot you would see a redish hue or spots

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Thanks, for the suggestions, going to wiz it through some corn media in a mates tumbler, see how it comes out. I was just worried that a chemical reaction had taken place separating or dissolving one of the metals? Making the cases weak & unsafe.
    Wingy
    Yes it can, it’s called dezincification, if brass is exposed to salt water (sea for example) the brass turns a red colour – basically all the zinc dissolves out leaving only the copper – unfortunately it isn’t a solid piece of copper you are left with, but a sponge/Swiss cheese piece of copper – so insanely week.

Any salt will cause this, so citric acid, cleaning fluid, most salts etc – so if your brass turns red it has occurred, however it does need a long exposure to do any more than surface dezincification.

So as said previously, polish off in a corn tumbler

Julie