Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is .20TAC worth it?

Is .20TAC worth it?

I'm planning ahead for a small calibre varmint / fox gun.

I currently have a slot for a .223REM and sound mod on my FAC. But love the sound of a .20TAC instead. Just a few things are making me doubt this choice.

• Cost of a semi-custom rifle as no factory rifles in this calibre vs an off the shelf remmy 700 (yes I know the quality of the rifle will be completely different)
    • Availability of factory brass in .20TAC, I see people are having problems getting it
    • Cost of resizing die if the above cannot be found, and it's availability
    • For 100 - 200 yrd shooting at Foxes and rabbits, is there really that much noticeable difference in the ballistic

I know one option could be to get a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical as planned and later have it rebarrelled for 20TAC, but again is it worth this or just get a semi-custom made from day one.

Thanks,

Tim

Good thread Tim as im thinking along the same lines and pondering the same questions, I shall sit back and keep a careful eye on the reply's, I hope their positive..!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    I'm planning ahead for a small calibre varmint / fox gun.

I currently have a slot for a .223REM and sound mod on my FAC. But love the sound of a .20TAC instead. Just a few things are making me doubt this choice.

• Cost of a semi-custom rifle as no factory rifles in this calibre vs an off the shelf remmy 700 (yes I know the quality of the rifle will be completely different)
    • Availability of factory brass in .20TAC, I see people are having problems getting it
    • Cost of resizing die if the above cannot be found, and it's availability
    • For 100 - 200 yrd shooting at Foxes and rabbits, is there really that much noticeable difference in the ballistic

I know one option could be to get a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical as planned and later have it rebarrelled for 20TAC, but again is it worth this or just get a semi-custom made from day one.

Thanks,

Tim
    I had 5 people interested in mine when i had it up for sale but all went off on some other calibre,

there is no shortage of brass what so ever, scare mungers the lot of them so they can charge the earth for the brass.

I have a complete set of dies, as follows. full size, neck, and seating, forming dies used to take 223 brass down to 20 tac and a body die all in used but well looked after, i think the lot set me back the best part of 250.+

i don't compare the 20 to a 223 or a 222, i just know that its the best small caliber i have used on fox, no loud bangs and the running costs are cracking. accuracy beyond the norm and some, i have had 2 and this ones just as good as the first in the fact that the action is a sako, normal stock and a 20" barrel,

i love the calibre and when your taking 300 yard crows and 300 yard bunnies with ease due to its low recoil (not much at all), my best fox to date was a 367 yards confirmed buy a member of this forum, and in the last few weeks i have taken my longest shot on a pig eon at 417 yards.

Sadly im no lover of remington toys are us rifles, so a rem 700 in my eyes would be a non starter,

this is mine below.

built by steve K and it shoots better than me and also like you want too.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...50500085,d.d2k

read all about it here,

you will only get praise from me on tthe 20 tac......................

regards

bob.

Attachment 31325
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Blog Entries
    ps:

my current load is

dakota brass

cci primer

23.5 gr of rl10x

40gr vmax.

result the best cal i have in the cabinet, i have a 243 but its unemployed now,

my brass is on its 15th reload as well and when i have issues ill head for the next 50 new cases i have somewhere in the loading room,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

My mate shoots crows out to 500yds with his 223 , enough said,

and on the way home a small deer or two....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    and on the way home a small deer or two....
    Hi Ed no mention of deer just fox. ;0

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    My mate shoots crows out to 500yds with his 223 , enough said,
    I bet thats not at night under a lamp. plus the 223 is old hat we need new things in our lives now and again , mind you the pig eon was in daylight as at night it would have been roosting.

bob.

tim,

im just a very happy user of a 2o tac, i must admit i have had not had(touch wood) any issues with any of the 2 rifles i had, both shot very well and once the main bills were paid the running cost were very good,

I am not a fan of the 223 and sold mine within weeks of having it, I have a slot for a 222, but i have the 20 tac and its fine, i have had 3 mates move to the 20 tac and they are all happy, so its horses for courses as they say, one mans love is another mans hate,

best of luck on the choice you make , but remember this,

someones willy will always be better,bigger than yours.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    ps:

my current load is

dakota brass

cci primer

23.5 gr of rl10x

40gr vmax.

result the best cal i have in the cabinet, i have a 243 but its unemployed now,

my brass is on its 15th reload as well and when i have issues ill head for the next 50 new cases i have somewhere in the loading room,

bob.
    Bob, funny, that is exactly the load I am playing with in the 204 I bought here of Sir-Slots-alot. Very accurate. Much flatter than my 22/250. It's not the holy grail, but it is a great round. Mine is a LW barrel on a Sako S491 action.

I have had a couple of 300 yard plus kills on crows and a few foxes. I am hoping it will see some more action as the harvest gets going here.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Bob, funny, that is exactly the load I am playing with in the 204 I bought here of Sir-Slots-alot. Very accurate. Much flatter than my 22/250. It's not the holy grail, but it is a great round. Mine is a LW barrel on a Sako S491 action.

I have had a couple of 300 yard plus kills on crows and a few foxes. I am hoping it will see some more action as the harvest gets going here.
    nice one Brian.

as said its not the holly grail (but others think their rifles are ?) i am more than happy with my rifle and as its going to be my one and only cf rifle it has to do what i want it to. or like all my things i have sold on, if its not right for me then it goes,

and the 20 tac is here for some time yet.

regards and nice to see your on the 20 cal step.

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 12-08-2013 at 19:41.

Evening all,having owned a 223,17 rem and 204r I can give you one conclusion,they all kill foxes with ease from 0-200 meters easily of you fancy having a try then get the 20 tac otherwise go with the 223.BUy ammo straight off the shelf,try finding 39 gr blitzkings for the 20 tac at the moment they are like hens teeth.having caught the 20 cal bug and shot it a lot I came to realise that there were no benefit for my shooting between the 223 and the 20 cal for foxing at between 0-200 meters.
    all the best
    ​dave