Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop lamp glare off your moderator

Stop lamp glare off your moderator

Well Im not the only one who has sufferd from mod glare when lamping,either with a scope mounted lamp or shooting from a vehicle with a hand held and trying to have the lamp some 2 feet to one side to avoid glare. I've tried lots of remedies from camo tape to an old sock. The problem is that the light is bounced back from the rear face of the mod not the outer of it. This is my solution works spot on for what ever lamp either scope mounted or hand held. Go to your local diy store and get a piece of pipe insulation about 1 for a meter. cut to length and slip over the barrel, light weight and as the mod and effectively barrel are the same diameter there is no glare. Give it a go

Sounds good in theory and will give that a go, only thing that comes to mind is that the barrel will be "insulated" and will get a tad warm if out on a serious session on the bunnies.

ATB WB

Od as it seams I dont have probs with my 22 rimmy only my center fires for foxing, perhaps its the bigger mods but even so think you would have to go some to get the barrel too warm on a rimmy

Seems a good idea, I'll give it a go. Thanks
    It's accuracy that kills.

Neoprene cover sorted the glare on mine but I've heard others putting electrical tape on the bottom half of the objective lenses of their scopes. They say it works, I haven't tried it yet

Al

Buy a cree501 and an ahorton aspherical lens to replace the glass front. Set the lens about 11mm from the led and connect the torch to a piece of plastic pipe that fits snuggly around the moderator. Replace the switch with a flex extender switch so you can turn it on near your stock hand and roberts your aunties brother.
    Good for 200yds plus and you can buy a red led version thats good for 200yds plus too.
    Totally transformed my foxing/wabbiting especially when out alone.
    Last edited by limulus; 12-08-2013 at 22:14. Reason: schpwelling
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Buy a cree501 and an ahorton asperical lens to replace the glass front. Set the lens about 11mm from the led and connect the torch to a piece of plastic pipe that fits snuggly around the moderator. Replace the switch with a flex extender switch so you can turn it on near your stock hand and roberts your aunties brother.
    Good for 200yds plus and you can buy a red led version thats good for 200yds plus too.
    Totally transformed my foxing/wabbiting especially when out alone.
    I think this definitely needs a picture.

Will do tomorrow.
    Cree501b torch...about 6
    Ahorton lens...13 (8 for one with damage around the edge that doesnt effect its efficacy, just cosmetic)
    Extension switch..about 4
    Red led cree501b..about 8

One lens can be used on multiple torches.

I used a piece of 1' 1/4" waste pipe then cut two slots 11mm apart so a standard scope mount can be used, this fits snugly around a dm80 and T8.
    Quad sticks

Pictures:

Lens' from above
    Attachment 31342

Lens' from side:

Attachment 31343

effect of convex lens (right) and asperical lens (left)
    Attachment 31344

T6 torch attached to waste pipe using std 1" scope mount and flying lead under:
    Attachment 31345
    Quad sticks

How'd this turn out?