Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harkila alternatives

Harkila alternatives

Can anyone suggest a " 2nd best" to the Harkila prohunter jacket apart from a 2nd hand one !
    ie. Muisto, ridgeline,Sealand etc etc
    Or better still a subjective rating of the most waterproof, windproof & warmest jackets out there on the market at present
    Cheers
    Mick

The Arcteyx Leaf range offer a very good alternative to the Harkila brand.

In fact id say Harkila are a very good alternative to Arcteryx

Laksen as a third option.

From what I can see Harkila is cheeper!! and certainly better colours for stalking.
    It's accuracy that kills.

Swazi Swazi Swazi

I wear layers, ideally icebreaker base layer and a Swazi on top. I have a Severn top for summer and a Tahr for winter.
    Whatever the weather I am out in it and rate Swazi as the best.

Regards

BP
    Last edited by Ben P; 13-08-2013 at 08:27.

Arcteryx Leaf as with any Arcteryx product is the nuts but, although it's well suited for hunting it's really more geared towards Military applications.

500 trousers and 800 for a jacket is a little OTT for Deer stalking but, probably worth shelling out for if you're involved in "direct action".

Seeland Stuff is a suitable alternative to Harkila but, there are deals out there on Harkila stuff, try Swillingtons for example.

Swazi stuff is very good but, not for trousers.

ATB
    ​Moses
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

I have sat in high seats terrible rainstorms for boar for 4 hours or more in Germany just using the standard military German flecktarn goretex squaddie kit bought new unused for 25 quid and stayed dry = amazing performance, my 2 mates used it on a 3 week horseback hunt in the Yukon with the same result, dry!!!
    Martin

This ain't cheap but then quality never is http://www.sitkagear.com/
    Cheers
    Richard

Cost wasnt mentioned in the OP original thread.

Ive loads of Arcteryx gear, lasts for years and is light, warm and waterproof.

Yes, its spendy, but id rather buy once and have decent reliable kit,...

Crocodile colour blends in well for stalking in the UK by the way and theres always multi cam, a viable alternative to "real tree",,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Ben P View Post
    Swazi Swazi Swazi

If you are a stalker and not a poser, wear layers, ideally icebreaker base layer and a Swazi on top. I have a Severn top for summer and a tahr for winter.
    Whatever the weather I am out in it and rate Swazi as the best.

Regards

BP
    Tool

Just because I can afford Harkila doesn't mean I can't stalk. In fact it just means I'm more comfortable than you when I'm stalking. No matter what the weather.

Harkila wearers often get mistaken for posers by those that don't wear it. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of stalkers out there with all the gear and-no-idea - or what we call 'weekend warriors'. But if you do stalk all year round, in all weather types and temperatures what else would you buy if you had the money...

​T

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Cost wasnt mentioned in the OP original thread.

Ive loads of Arcteryx gear, lasts for years and is light, warm and waterproof.

Yes, its spendy, but id rather buy once and have decent reliable kit,...

Crocodile colour blends in well for stalking in the UK by the way and theres always multi cam, a viable alternative to "real tree",,,,,
    I've loads of Harkila and Swazi gear that I've had for years, I too would rather buy once and have decent reliable kit and, that's what I've got.

Arcteryx leaf clothing is a little more weekend sniper than recreational deerstalker in my opinion but, personally I don't do camo anyway. Have to say that their backpaks are amazing quality and very well thought out.

Sitka gear does look good and is getting some good reviews so, hopefully it'll make it's way into some Uk stockists soon, heard from a pal who was at the shot show this year that it was pretty impressive.

ATB
    Moses
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"