Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Murder Bucks

Murder Bucks

Took out my first Murder Buck at the weekend. I found him fraying on the edge of the wood at first light.

I had a good look at him and although he looked a little thin I couldn't find any problems physically with and it got me thinking. I hear a lot of stalkers saying that you should take out Murder Bucks but if a Murder Buck manages to get through a season, will he grow a proper/better head the next season if food etc are good or is a murder buck always one and he'll grow single spikes every year if allowed to do so?

They normally grow the same antlers the following year it took me two seasons to catch up with one on my patch !

Size of a head can vary a lot from year to year, though they tend to keep the same general shape, so yes more than likely to be a murder buck in future years.

Right lads dont mean to sound stupid but what is a murder buck? I have heard the terminology thrown about a bit but dont know what it means.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Muirhead View Post
    Right lads dont mean to sound stupid but what is a murder buck? I have heard the terminology thrown about a bit but dont know what it means.

Adam
    Two straight antlers with no tines, dagger like they can cause serious damage to an opponent, hence the term murder buck.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Two straight antlers with no tines, dagger like they can cause serious damage to an opponent, hence the term murder buck.

Bet a lot of young bucks get shot as 'murder' bucks....

Generally a buck that grows two spikes as antlers as oppose three points on each antler, when they fight the antlers wont lock together so the murder buck has the upper hand and when they fight the two spikes stab the other deer normally causing serious injury or death.

Cheers lads.

as always a quick and informative answer

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    Bet a lot of young bucks get shot as 'murder' bucks....
    I dare say you could be right.