Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti's aim is well off

Anti's aim is well off

Saw something on telly last night that turned my guts,farmed prawns in the tanks , the females "have to " have their eyes ripped out, ... To initiate the egg / young production on the right scale for the farms, for sure I won't be leaning in the freezers unless I am assured it's wild caught stuff. Maybe the Anti's / Vegans should shift their aim?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Regular Poster
    I wasn't aware of this but it's yet another irony of life that obviously completely passes these people by.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Saw something on telly last night that turned my guts,farmed prawns in the tanks , the females "have to " have their eyes ripped out, ... To initiate the egg / young production on the right scale for the farms, for sure I won't be leaning in the freezers unless I am assured it's wild caught stuff. Maybe the Anti's / Vegans should shift their aim?

Prawns are neither cute nor cuddly therefore are well off the anti's radar.

on the subject of that show how bizzare that the stress of captivity causes a hormone build up in the prawns eye stem and that affects fertility? not a nice practice but from the prawn farms perspective you can see the logic.

No one cares until it has a back bone.

And even then, they only really start caring when it has fur or feathers.

I admit to not knowing much about fish farming, either as regards animal welfare or environmental impact, but until commercial fisheries stop stripping the seas of life and doing nothing to conserve stocks, that seems to me to be a bigger problem in a protein-hungry world.

I'm not saying the mutilation of live prawns isn't horrific, and it's certainly a more valid focus for concern than anything we get up to, but I'd focus on making sure any wild-caught seafood you eat comes from a sustainable fishery - this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I admit to not knowing much about fish farming, either as regards animal welfare or environmental impact, but until commercial fisheries stop stripping the seas of life and doing nothing to conserve stocks, that seems to me to be a bigger problem in a protein-hungry world.

I'm not saying the mutilation of live prawns isn't horrific, and it's certainly a more valid focus for concern than anything we get up to, but I'd focus on making sure any wild-caught seafood you eat comes from a sustainable fishery - this helps.

Your a bit of the beating track there. If u take the north sea for example it has more fish in it now than in the last 30 years because there is no boats left to catch them. The problem comes that we let in spanish fleet too catch our fish from our waters. They catch what they want but our fisherman catch fish that they are not allowed too land in the market because the quota has been cut soo much. Soo all those fish they catch are thrown over the side bck into the sea dead. Such a waste of food because u cnt tell what your going too catch but u can only put 20 boxes of cod in the market but u just caught 50. The 30 boxes ectra are wasted.

Its all the rules coming from brussels and what you here on the news is utter ****. The fish in the north is easily sustainable. But what going too happens is our fishing boats from the uk will be pushed out of buissness because its not viable too fish anymore. Then it wiill all be left for the rest of europe t reep the benefits and they will i assure u leave nothing behind.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo.222 View Post
    Your a bit of the beating track there. If u take the north sea for example it has more fish in it now than in the last 30 years because there is no boats left to catch them. The problem comes that we let in spanish fleet too catch our fish from our waters. They catch what they want but our fisherman catch fish that they are not allowed too land in the market because the quota has been cut soo much. Soo all those fish they catch are thrown over the side bck into the sea dead. Such a waste of food because u cnt tell what your going too catch but u can only put 20 boxes of cod in the market but u just caught 50. The 30 boxes ectra are wasted.

Its all the rules coming from brussels and what you here on the news is utter ****. The fish in the north is easily sustainable. But what going too happens is our fishing boats from the uk will be pushed out of buissness because its not viable too fish anymore. Then it wiill all be left for the rest of europe t reep the benefits and they will i assure u leave nothing behind.
    The boats are going out a couple of hundred miles to not catch cod, yet we are told there are no cod left.... and dont get me started on the pulse trawlers....
    "you've only got three choices in life - give up, give in or give it all you've got"

Pablo,

as far as I know there's there's no underlying reason why managed fisheries shouldn't be sustainable, but unless some alternative to the kind of competitive extraction you mention is established, it won't matter who has the boats, as there'll be nothing to catch.

A fishery that is overexploited and then crashes, putting the fishermen out of business until stocks recover and it gets overfished again, is hardly "sustainable".

If a farmer treated his land the way the fishing industry treats the seas it would cease being productive very quickly. But farmers have a long term relationship with their farms, take responsibility for them, and are subject a high degree of scrutiny. I doubt whether the same can be said of the majority of large-scale fishing concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    The boats are going out a couple of hundred miles to not catch cod, yet we are told there are no cod left.... and dont get me started on the pulse trawlers....

​Whats wrong with the purse trawlers??
    Always think before you pull that trigger.