Another good night.

tikka2506

Had a run around the estate last night looking for the culprit that has been taking poults from around one of the pheasant pens, by the end of the night we managed to get one mature dog fox and one vixen cub. Well worth a run out.

View attachment 31351

Well done! :) We've had a few recently, but we're having to work really hard for them. I suspect that we'll run out of foxes before long - and that's on over 30,000 acres...:(

We are not seeing that many either, last year we may have shot about 20, but the year before maybe 50-60. Not sure if the bad weather earlier this year has thinned them out????

same here few and far between, no cubs shot at all yet and only had 2 since harvest on our main pheasant shoot, though we are up to 11 on the year on ground that usually does under 20 but most of those usually are after harvest not before. There is a block of 600 acres of rape next door still to cut though which may be half the reason

Went out later last night 1.30am till 4.00am we saw 4 four shot two (vixo + cub), happy days :)

That was the right time to be out last night - the bloody moon was so bright earlier on that I really struggled (shot one, saw another, heard a third). I headed off home at about 1:30, just as the moon was going down.

That was the right time to be out last night - the bloody moon was so bright earlier on that I really struggled (shot one, saw another, heard a third). I headed off home at about 1:30, just as the moon was going down.
We had mist till 1:30am then it cleared for a few hours then came back in at 4:00am, Would have stayed out longer as we had another cub to get but mist cut lamp range to 30yrds, next time :). Moon was not to bad about 1/4 full, next week is full moon so hope weathers cloudy :cry:

Last edited:
We had mist till 1:30am then it cleared for a few hours then came back in at 4:00am, Would have stayed out longer as we had another cub to get but mist cut lamp range to 30yrds, next time :). Moon was not to bad about 1/4 full, next week is full moon so hope weathers cloudy :cry:

I'd spent the day down a well digging out clay/silt, then had a bath and took the Good Lady out for a meal, so by the time I left to drive 20 miles to the game shoot in question, I was dead on my feet. I'd have loved to have stayed longer, but reason overcame my enthusiasm...

Back