Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .244 H&H

.244 H&H

I have a possible option on a .244H&H and wondered if anyone had any experience of this calibre? From what I can glean it is a VERY fast round (100 grain @ c3500fps) giving a flat trajectory at any reasonable range. Barrel life and the very expensive cost of factory ammo seem to be the down side. Any views?

A .243 will come very close to that speed with 100 grain bullets. A .244 Remington ("6mm Remington") will definitely hit those speeds. Hardly seems worth it.

I once worked with a fellow who had a Rigby rifle in that caliber. He bought it for the rifle, not the caliber nor the performance.~Muir

The one thing I found worrying when I googled it is the bit that said the .244H&H uses a bullet of .245" diameter, meaning that common .243 bullets (.244" Diameter) don't shoot well. There is only one manufacturer of .245 bullets, and that is a 100 grain pill....Doesn't fill me with confidence unless the gun is a custom with a .243 barrel chambered for .244 cartridges!

SD Regular
    I can't see the point of it as a practical cartridge at all.

The product of the fevered imagination of the late David LLoyd and a total nonsense. It offers NOTHING in pratical terms (except one less cartridge in the magazine) that the older 240 "Apex" or more modern 240 Weatherby offers. Plus a ridiculously short neck!

As others say in more "standard" cartridges both the 243 Winchester and the 6mm Remington will work just as well.

If it is an original Holland and Holland then buy it and enjoy it. As Muir so well put it I once worked with a fellow who had a Rigby rifle in that caliber. He bought it for the rifle, not the caliber nor the performance.

But if it is something else put together by someone else other than Holland's, and that INCLUDES anything by David Lloyd, I'd leave it well alone. A totally pointless cartridge IMHO.

From a reloading point of view I am told that 243 diameter bullets do however work just as well as 245 diameter bullets if good safe reloading practice is followed.

The late great Colin McKelvie shot a monster of a 6mm. It is a long time since I saw it, I can't remember or say for sure if it was just a 244 H&H, or a wildcat, but the ammo was formed from 375H&H brass shortened and necked down. It was built on a Brno magnum action.

I seem to remember the brass was blown out quite straight. He was shooting a bronze coloured semi-spitzer at silly speeds. I am pretty sure he said it was not a 240 weatherby.

SD Regular
    244 H & H is pretty much about that. A 375 H & H shortened and necked down. I believe that a gun dealer down in the West Country had a BRNO 602 that was re-barreled to 244 H & H for sale. Empire Gunsight Company I think?

SD Regular
    244 H & H is pretty much about that. A 375 H & H shortened and necked down. I believe that a gun dealer down in the West Country had a BRNO 602 that was re-barreled to 244 H & H for sale. Empire Gunsight Company I think?

It would be a costly and eccentric endeavor, to say the least. I have shot the 240 WBY Magnum. In a custom it can be a challenge to reach published speeds without some Weatherby-style free boring and a long barrel. The one I built lasted about 1100 rounds (without freebore) before needing to be set back. I talked the fellow into making a 375 H&H on that action instead. I believe the toughest game he shot with that 240 WBY was milk jugs full of water at 400 yards~ ~Muir.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post

If it is an original Holland and Holland then buy it and enjoy it. As Muir so well put it I once worked with a fellow who had a Rigby rifle in that caliber. He bought it for the rifle, not the caliber nor the performance.

But if it is something else put together by someone else other than Holland's, and that INCLUDES anything by David Lloyd, I'd leave it well alone.
    Enfield,
    If you don't mind - just to clarify - are you including Lloyd built .244's in with H&H (as 'ok') or in the 'leave well alone' camp?